Updated Privacy Statement

What Layer should FSLogix be installed in

Question

A little background.  I've been working with App Layering 4.10 and deploying it out with Windows 2016 in Development.  I'm also using O365.  I've had some issues with getting FSLogix working properly. Essentially, there were two issues. The first was that the FSLogix apps service would not start.  This issue was resolved by adjusting the Altitude setting for FSLogix.  

https://support.fslogix.com/index.php/component/fss/?view=kb&catid=7&kbartid=92.

The second issue was that the GPO that I created to modify the users in the locally created FSLogix groups would not apply.  By default, the "FS Logix ODFC Include List" local group has "everyone".  We replace "Everyone" with a specific user group.   When I tried to modify the groups with GPO it would fail with an error that basically said it couldn't find the local groups.  This happens if FSlogix is installed both in an App Layer (Not elastically) as well as in the Platform Layer where FSLogix support suggested the app be installed.

I have it working now but I don't like what I had to do to get it working.  I had to install it in the OS layer.  I've seen some mixed statements that have me questioning the correct way to install FSLogix with App Layering. Here's what has me wondering what is the best way to install FSLogix.  

1) FSLogix support said to put it in the Platform Layer
2) Citrix best practices for App layering states “Any extra user accounts or groups need to be created in the OS layer.  Any domain group membership changes need to be done through Group Policy.”
3) To further back the previous statement up I found this from Carl Stalhood .....  “Any application that creates local users (e.g. XenApp 6.5) should be installed in the OS Layer. Platform Layer and Application Layers do not capture changes to local groups or local users.”
4) However, I also found this statement from one of Carl's post... "FSLogix creates local groups every time the service restarts. Thus it works when installed inside an Application Layer."

So, after that long-winded explanation my question is does anyone have FSLogix working in an App Layer and if so, are you using GPO to successfully modify the local group members?  

On 8/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Hi Rob, should I set this registry key in the FSLogix App Layer or in the base image? I assume that using GPO/GPP is not an option here.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:25 PM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Anytime David always glad to help.  From an old time VMware guy though I was always happy enough with QuickPrep and in my long time at Unidesk i didnt often see issues with recomposing using it.

I have nightmares with QuickPrep and Windows 10. I can't use the Refresh on Logoff option, because it straight up doesn't work. I have to do a full rebuild, and sometimes Horizon will just flag the VM as "Already Used" and do nothing with it. It's unreliable, at best, with Windows 10. Windows 7 has never given me trouble with either method, but with Win 7 going OOS in 1/20, we have to have Win10 VMs running.

Hi guys,

I was having the same problem. After my experiments, fslogix that I installed as application layer worked

my transactions as follows;

1. first I tried fslogix application with app layer in the image that has elastic layer open. outlook data and index data are generated, but when I log off and on it, it started to rebuild.

2. What I did, including the regedit registry, did not improve the problem.

3. I think the problem is related to the elastic layer.

4. I made a clean image with the elastic layer closed. I created Fslogix agent app layer and included it in the image.

5. I got the version from the fslogix application layer. I have edited the  register as follows.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\frxdrvvt\Instances\frxdrvvt 

Altitude=138010

6. in my experiments with this image Fslogix worked smoothly.

7.I tried again by opening elastic layer in the same image. The previously formed Fslogix VHD disk worked smoothly.