Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Can't open Outlook after Mailbox migration from 2010 to 2016

Khawaja Ahmed

Question

Hi.

We're experiencing issues with users being unable to open their Outlook 2013 client after being migrated from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016.

Our users are unable to open the Outlook App when it's streamed and on full desktop environment. We are getting a " Cannot start Microsoft Outlook, Cannot open Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Microsoft Exchange is not available. Either there are network problems or the Exchange server is down for maintenance.

Neither of which is true in our environment.  This happens for users migrated from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016.  

Any ideas?Untitled.thumb.png.c0105511c80b325b23db529b25afd45d.png

9 answers to this question

There is a myriad of reasons this might happen - a few i have seen

1. DNS / Autodiscover

2. CAS services are still pointed at 2010 (assuming this is not happening but worth mentioning)

3. RPC encryption is disabled via policy (this bit me in a big environment) - EX 2013 onwards requires it enabled

James,

1. Autodiscover/DNS are working since Outlook clients outside of Citrix are working without any issues.

2. CAS Services have been pointed to EXCH2016 servers, mailflow working without any issues.

3. Can you clarify on what you mean by RPC encryption being disabled by policy? Is this a Citrix Policy or Microsoft GPO?

Thanks.

It’s not rpc encryption if you work after a repair - my instance it was completely stuffed after a move to 2016 based CAS services 

you can reset the profiles via registry hacks, it’s not pretty but I’ve done one recently for a 365 customer in xenapp. 

Do you see anything awkward in netstat when you have that error occurring? Are there netscalers in the middle etc?

12 hours ago, James Kindon said:

It’s not rpc encryption if you work after a repair - my instance it was completely stuffed after a move to 2016 based CAS services 

you can reset the profiles via registry hacks, it’s not pretty but I’ve done one recently for a 365 customer in xenapp. 

Do you see anything awkward in netstat when you have that error occurring? Are there netscalers in the middle etc?

I'm not sure what to look for in netstat and yes there are netscalers but I don't have access to those.  

I did some further troubleshooting it seems that Outlook is using a Custom file that is maybe pointing to the old CAS array instead of using autodiscover. However once a repair or new profile is created it's using auto discover to connect to exchange.

Trying to figure out how to test this right now.  

yeah OK that would make sense. Might been configured by some old PRF file or something

I hate doing it this way but sometimes you have too, the keys you can delete are as follows

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\outlook (profile name)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\outlook (profile name)

You can also pre-create the above outlook key to ensure zero touch configuration works, else users might get prompted for a profile name

When i have done this, i have driven via a batch file or powershell script as an external task in WEM with the run once option ticked, or if GPP you can use a login script and also tag as only run once

test test test

On 4/24/2018 at 6:15 PM, James Kindon said:

yeah OK that would make sense. Might been configured by some old PRF file or something

I hate doing it this way but sometimes you have too, the keys you can delete are as follows

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\outlook (profile name)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\outlook (profile name)

You can also pre-create the above outlook key to ensure zero touch configuration works, else users might get prompted for a profile name

When i have done this, i have driven via a batch file or powershell script as an external task in WEM with the run once option ticked, or if GPP you can use a login script and also tag as only run once

test test test

How do I create a Outlook profile key so that users do not have a create a profile? It looks like this is the only viable option for us.