Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Distro-agnostic package formats

Joakim Bertheussen

Question

Hi.

I have been trying out the different Linux versions of Citrix Receiver, and I have come to miss a consistent deployment of this application.

Even the .deb package did not quite work out of the box on Ubuntu, having certificate errors and other weird errors I needed to fix before using it. I can't speak for the rpm, since I haven't tried it.

Then, after switching to Solus OS, the only option I have of installing Citrix Receiver is by manually resolving the dependencies for the tarball installer.

There are multiple ways of targeting a multitude of Linux platforms with a single package (Snappy, Flatpak, AppImage) for a more consistent experience.

I think it would make a lot of sense for Citrix to release it that way. For multiple reasons;

1 - You include all your dependencies, with the correct versions.

2 - Most distros won't include Citrix in their repos, since it has an EULA.

3 - More consistent across distros. Less weird distro-specific issues.

4 - Easier to deploy.

5 answers to this question

I realize this is a very old post, but it's still one of the top results when you search for "citrix workspace flatpak", so I'll mention that I've been working on a flatpak'd citrix workspace. It can be found here: https://github.com/dcloud-ca/ca.dcloud.ICAClient

It's not exactly polished, but it seems to get the job done, at least for my use case.