Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NIC running at 100MB not 1000MB

Max Ricketts

Question

8 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

Yes, if terminology is wrong and you are transferring only 100mbs (or about 10MB/sec), then something is wrong on a 1Gb link

as you are only running about 10% of what you should be.

--Alan-

Hi Alan,

It is only transferring at around 7MB/sec.  It like it thinks it is a 100mbs NIC. Do you have any ideas of how this is fixed?

Kind regards

Max

5 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

Could be a lot of things. Bad nic/drivers (Is your nic or nic chipset on the HCL?), bad cables, a duplex issue to your switch or a bad port 

on the switch. How does the speed from Dom0 look compared to a VM speed test ? 

--Alan--

Hi Alan,

I have tested the cables and the switch between my company and laptop and with same ports and cables they are reaching the expected speeds for a 1Gb NIC.  

It may be an issue with the NIC as it is a Realtek RTL8111.  I am not sure if it is supported.  I used to run VMware on it, and I did not have an issue with it.  

Yea, RealTek's are not on the HCL and XenServer is very picky about hardware. If you have a spare nic you could throw in the server you could do comparison testing.

If you are good with drivers you could download a RealTek CentOS driver for the RTL8111 and use the DDK to add the driver to your XenServer installation. Personally,

I don't go that far, I just opt for adding a new network card.

--Alan--

On 4/17/2018 at 7:17 PM, Max Ricketts said:

I have a citrix xen server 7 install.  My guest machines running Ubuntu 16 only seem to transfer at 100MB.  The citrix console reports that NIC at 1000.  I have guest tools installed.   

Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

Max

Servers won't run at the full 1Gbps without XenServer Tools installed. All of our servers are limited to only 100mbps until we install XenTools, then we're good.