Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Limit concurrent user sessions per XenApp host, per user

Teun Visser1709159476

Question

Hello Citrix Community,

I've got a very specific use case at a customer for which I haven't found a solution yet. So i'm hoping to find the solution on the XenApp 7.x forum:

At this customer, we're using XenApp 7.15 LTSR, facilitating 24 XenApp hosts.

The customer uses generic user accounts, for which 5 people, per account, get credentials.

Users log in to the XenApp farm, and start a session on one of the XenApp hosts.

Now here's the kicker: We're using an application which does NOT allow the same user to be logged on to the same XenApp host at the same time.

If a second (or third, fourth and so on) session gets started, the application will not work for this second concurrent session.

So the requirment here is to limit the amount of connections to a XenApp session host for each user.

So when a user logs in to the farm with a generic account, gets connected to, lets say: "host1". It should not be possible for other users to connect to "host1" with the same  generic account. Instead, they should be load balanced to another host within the farm.

Does Citrix have any settings to facilitate this kind of behaviour?

I've found the following artice: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenapp-and-xendesktop/7-14/policies/reference/load-management-policy-settings.html

But this (as far as I can tell) only lets you limit sessions per host, not per user.

Looking forward to your reply's,

Greetings,

Teun Visser

9 answers to this question

A solution to this might be to provide the application via XenDesktop and set it up to bring up new VMs on request. The only other alternative through XenApp is to limit the maximum number of server sessions to one. Potentially having one XenApp server in use by a single session would be a bit wasteful in my view. It depends on your environment and usage to which one is best.

So my experience with XA has always been that more than one client can't use the same user account. So if I login on my laptop and start a session, then login again with the same user account on my desktop, I will steal the session from my laptop. I am not sure how you are setup that 2 people using the same account would get separate sessions. That is certainly not the default behavior.

I guess the question is, why can't they all have separate accounts?

I assume the application will not launch for the same user account across separate sessions on the same host? At a high level it might be possible to do this via storefront with some SDK manipulations. Depending on how critical this is you could also script that each launch puts a host into maintenance mode thus preventing any further connections from any user. Next launch would go to another host. 

Did you ever find a solution for this as we have exact same requirement.

We have a retail setup with lots of small branches arounds the country. Each store has say 2-3 Thin Clients that access a Published Desktop, but we have more employees than devices so we don't have AD accounts for each individual, we just have 1 or 2 logins per store (we license by Device not User). So like reported in the original post we have the same user account logged in 2 or 3 times from different Thin Clients. Most of the time they would connect to different hosts and have no issues, but sometimes they end up on the same host (as separate sessions - intentionally configured this way) and then they have issues with the application. The only workaround we have is to ask one of the users to logout and login again and hopefully they end up on different server or we have to briefly put one host into maintenance mode to make sure they don't end up on the same server.

Basically what we need is to continue to allow the same user to have multiple sessions, but prevent the same user connecting to the same host.