Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Random issues with file explorer on 7.15CU1

Tommy Moslashller

Question

Hi!

I have a very annoying issue at the moment on our platform I hope someone can help me solve or troubleshoot further on.

Platform specs

Type: XenApp PVS and standalone

Citrix version: 7.15CU1

Citrix Receiver: Newest

NetScaler MPX 8005: 11.1 56.19

Profiles: FSLogix containers

Issue

On a platform with several XenApp and RDS installations a couple of users on different XenApp deployments experience file explorer acting strange. For some users it shutdown suddenly while they are working. Running programs are not affected and they can immediately browse the mapped network shares/documents folder etc. again, but it is annoying for them.

Other users experience their session start to lockup and freeze. They suddenly cannot click the start menu and running programs are responding slowly. If we then restart the explorer.exe process for the affected user everything is back to normal and working perfectly.

I cannot find ANY errors in any logs; event viewer, FSLogix, Citrix, etc. It just fails silently.

Troubleshooting

I have tried profile resets, VMware host isolation, performance monitoring file/XenApp servers, downgrading Receiver (4.9 LTSR), but cannot figure out what is causing this.

I cannot see any difference from those installations that are not affected to those who are. We are deploying them exactly the same way.

I hope someone out there can help. Thanks.

10 answers to this question

On 09/04/2018 at 10:26 AM, Tommy Moslashller said:

Hi!

I have a very annoying issue at the moment on our platform I hope someone can help me solve or troubleshoot further on.

Platform specs

Type: XenApp PVS and standalone

Citrix version: 7.15CU1

Citrix Receiver: Newest

NetScaler MPX 8005: 11.1 56.19

Profiles: FSLogix containers

Issue

On a platform with several XenApp and RDS installations a couple of users on different XenApp deployments experience file explorer acting strange. For some users it shutdown suddenly while they are working. Running programs are not affected and they can immediately browse the mapped network shares/documents folder etc. again, but it is annoying for them.

Other users experience their session start to lockup and freeze. They suddenly cannot click the start menu and running programs are responding slowly. If we then restart the explorer.exe process for the affected user everything is back to normal and working perfectly.

I cannot find ANY errors in any logs; event viewer, FSLogix, Citrix, etc. It just fails silently.

Troubleshooting

I have tried profile resets, VMware host isolation, performance monitoring file/XenApp servers, downgrading Receiver (4.9 LTSR), but cannot figure out what is causing this.

I cannot see any difference from those installations that are not affected to those who are. We are deploying them exactly the same way.

I hope someone out there can help. Thanks.

Do you see any events on the event log for the explorer issues?

What is the VDA OS?

Do you see any resource constraints on the hypervisor for these VMs exhibiting the issue?

Might be worth you contact support team and get these looked.

Thanks,

Kishore

Sounds very similar to the sort of behaviour you would see if there was a temporary drop in connection to a mapped drive. I've seen the same thing happen during file server cluster fail overs. Probably worth checking what drives the users have mapped and the connection reliability to those locations.

Hello we also have the same problem (Server 2012R2 - 7.15 lts CU2 & FSLogix version 2.9.6877.54703).

Weird problem - same problem no errors. No problem with testing in production but after implementing full scale (2000 customers) resulted in hundreds of blue screen (explorer.exe crahes). I made a call for this problem at FSLogix but no progress yet. 

We communicated a workaround to our customers (start process explorer.exe). They majority does not experience the problem anymore.
We got about 2 to 4 calls every day about the blue screen. Maybe the stopped reporting to our servicedesk. I agree with Tommy Møller very annoying.

We did the exlusion with the AV (Trap, Palo Alto) but also no result and the solution from kkriste777.

We're now planning the new release from FSLogix 2.9.7 - maybe that wil help.

Archived