Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenDesktop 7.15 CU1 - VDA connection / registration problems

Question

Hi,

so we updated our DDC/PVS environment to 7.15 CU1. We had hoped a lot of old problems that we had in our 7.6 farm would go away... well that did not really work out.

What we have:
2x Windows 2012 R2 with:
* XenDesktop 7.15 CU1

* Storefront 7.15 CU1 (Version 3.12.1)

2x Windows 2012 R2 with:

* Provisioning Services 7.15 CU1

* DHCP Server

120x Windows 7 VDAs with:

* VDA 7.15 CU1

* Prov Service Target Device 7.15 CU1

* up to date vmware tools

* mcafee agent / move av 4.6

vCenter and ESX version 6.0.0

Problems that are >randomly< occurring:

* VDAs will randomly be shown as unregistered in Studio even though a user is present on the machine and has successfully logged on while it was registered

* Users can't reconnect to their VDA after disconnecting from their session (VDA is registered - user can't work cause studio always points him to the vda with his current session)

* VDAs will crash/ freeze mid session 

Basically users can work but the problems I mentioned above occur with ~10-20% of userbase each day.

I've run Citrix Health Assistant to check unregistered VDAs without any noticeable result.

Something else I noticed: a VDA will be registered -> goes into unregistered (VDA does not work anymore for the connected user) -> and while I looked at the unregistered VDA in studio it started to initialize again and went back to the registered state (users still can't work the machine is and needs to be restarted via vcenter)

Also some users get 2 different VDAs from the same delivery group (I guess that happens when 1 VDA is unresponsive and the users spams the lauch desktop icon in storefront so much that he eventually gets a new one? This should not happen either should it?)

Eventlogs I found on the DDCs:

=========================   

Failed to launch the resource 'ddc1 ddc2.Windows 7 $S2-2' using the Citrix XML Service at address 'http://ddc2/scripts/wpnbr.dll'. The XML service returned error: 'host-unreachable'.

All the Citrix XML Services configured for farm ddc1 ddc2 failed to respond to this XML Service transaction.

An error occurred when connecting to the Citrix server to access the  resource. Verify that the server is running and that the network is functioning. This error was reported for an XML Service at address http://ddc2/scripts/wpnbr.dll [NFuseProtocol.TRequestAddress]. 

A request from the Citrix server to prepare for a connection was rejected while processing the initialization of desktop group Group1 for user domain/user. This message was reported from the XML Service at address http://ddc1/scripts/wpnbr.dll [NFuseProtocol.TRequestAddress]. 

Failed to launch the resource 'ddc1 ddc2.Windows 7 $S2-2' using the Citrix XML Service at address 'http://ddc1/scripts/wpnbr.dll'. The XML service returned error: 'connection-refused'.

Failed to launch the resource 'ddc1 ddc2.Windows 7 $S2-2' using the Citrix XML Service at address 'http://ddc2/scripts/wpnbr.dll'. The XML service returned error: 'unspecified'.

Failed to run discovery
Citrix.DesktopAppliance.ConfigLoader.DiscoveryServiceException, Citrix.DesktopAppliance, Version=3.12.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
An error occurred while contacting the Discovery Service
   at Citrix.DesktopAppliance.ConfigLoader.Discovery.AppendConfigurationFromDiscoveryService(DaConfigSection section)
   at Citrix.DesktopAppliance.ConfigLoader.Discovery.RunDiscovery(DaConfigSection configSection)
   at Citrix.DesktopAppliance.Models.DaSessionState..ctor(HttpContextBase httpContext)
System.Net.WebException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
Url: https://url/Citrix/Store/discovery
ExceptionStatus: ProtocolError
ResponseStatus: NotFound
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Citrix.DeliveryServicesClients.Utilities.HttpHelpers.ReceiveResponse(HttpWebRequest req)
   at Citrix.DeliveryServicesClients.Discovery.RequestHandler.DiscoveryHttpRequestHandler.GetDocument(String url)
   at Citrix.DesktopAppliance.ConfigLoader.Discovery.AppendConfigurationFromDiscoveryService(DaConfigSection section)

The Citrix Broker Service failed to contact virtual machine 'machinename' (IP address ). 
 Check that the virtual machine can be contacted from the controller and that any firewall on the virtual machine allows connections from the controller. See Citrix Knowledge Base article CTX126992. 
Error details: 
Exception 'The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:03:20. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.' of type 'System.TimeoutException'.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks!

\\edit

XDPing just gave me this on a broken VDA:

Summary::

Checking version : You are using the latest version. [OK]
    Service = Communication error: <TimedOut(error=10060)> [ERROR]

11 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, James Kindon said:

are there any security suites running on your brokers? Firewalls etc? 

smells like something is getting in the way of comms here, my head always goes to AV or security products first

Nothing alike. Not even the Windows Firewall is active on the delivery controllers. 
We only have the McAfee Client on the VDAs.

This sounds similar to a problem I had a couple of weeks ago.   What state are the VDIs in, in VCenter?  In my case the VDIs were locked up, and weren't even showing an IP address any more and were consuming a lot of CPU.   The longer they were locked up the more CPU they consumed - smells a bit like a virus but we couldn't find one.   Same situation though, work fine, and then fall over, go to Unregistered, and need a hard reset.

I don't have a root cause yet but we have stabilised the situation by removing a lot of static VDIs which were used by a certain set of our users (mostly developers) - the thought being that one or more of those VDIs is causing an issue, although we haven't been able to pin down which one it might be, as the problem doesn't happen as soon as you power it up.

Citrix support unfortunately weren't able to help us, the instructions for getting a memory dump from a crashed and unregistered machine simply didn't work.

Getting similar exception with CVAD 1906_2 / VDA

~~~~

Error details: 
Exception 'The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:03:20. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.' of type 'System.TimeoutException'.

~~~~

VDAs (XA servers) MCS provisioned and having 2 GB of Temp memory cache, not only streamed/MCS provisioned VDA, i am seeing issue with Dedicated VDAs as well.