Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Upgrade w/ no downtime

Evan Ray

Can you upgrade a pair of SDX appliances in HA with no downtime?  Currently in production is a pair of SDX 11515, and looking to upgrade to a pair of 14040.

The idea was to pull out the Secondary 11515, and standup a new 14040.  Then bring up that new 14040 in HA.  Let them sync, then failover to the 14040 and make the other 11515 secondary.  Once they sync, bring down the other 11515 and bring in the other 14040.  Let them sync and keep that as the secondary.  Will that work between the two series?

It's the VPXs that sync (HA), not the SDXs.

I don't see any reason why you can't break the existing pair (clear the config from the current secondary), and add a VPX from 14040 as secondary (make sure you do STAYPRIMARY on the original primary). In theory, the VPXs are almost the same hardware.

Heya Carl!  I'm looking over your blog heavily, and it's been quite helpful!  So thank you!!

Yes, I agree I should of been more specific.  So my approach would be standup the new 14xxx SDX and manually configure the settings.  Basically mimic them, as I won't be able to do a backup and restore since the interfaces are a little different. 

Next I would do a backup and restore of each VPX instance.  This will be a straight shot carry over with no changes needed.

My only cloudy area is teh Xen server.  Can I copy the config file for the Xen server off the SDX 11xxx over to the 14xxx?  Or does it not work that?

• 2 weeks later...

What version are you guys running for the firmware?  I see a few selections for version 12.0 to choose from.  In the Cisco world, you never wanted the latest and greatest.  They also listed them as what's used in production.  How do you, if you need to in the Citrix world determine the most stable version for your hardware.  Do I just go latest and greatest with version 12.0 Build 57.19?

• 3 weeks later...

During the upgrade process, I attempted to restore a VPX(version 11.0 66.11.nc) to the new SDX appliance (version 12.0 57.24) and I'm getting a 'Failed to extract file BackupName.tgz' when attempting to do a restore.

Am I able to do a restore of a 11.0 VPX to a 12.0 SDX?  Or is there something else wrong here with the backup?  I did do a restore on the same VPX, to see if the backup was indeed valid and it did restore successfully.

Cheers,

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys/Carl,

I come into this discussions since I have a client that requires to update the firmware version of Netscaler to latest version.

It is a single MPX appliance only and no HA configured.

Client requires no downtime.

What would be the best approach for this one? Does using a VPX appliance and loading of MPX ns.conf file to VPX can make this work? Thanks

Regards

Are you asking how to in-place upgrade a single appliance without downtime? Firmware upgrades require a reboot so you can't avoid the downtime. Otherwise, you'd need an HA Pair to avoid downtime.

Or are you asking how to migrate without downtime? One way to do that is with new IP addresses, and then you can re-configure NAT and DNS to the new IPs. If you use existing IP addresses, then you have to avoid IP conflicts, which usually means brief downtime as you move the IPs from one NetScaler to a different NetScaler.

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your response. We are going the replicate the configuration of MPX appliance to the VPX is it possible?

We will be using different NSIP and SNIP on the  VPX.

Yes, there's a possibility of a brief downtime since we will be using existing IP addresses on the running services and VIP's.

Does copying ns.conf file of MPX appliance then moving it to VPX appliance a good practice of replicating the configuration?

If not, what are the other ways?

For additional information MPX has gateway configured who manages 3 storefront servers.

I don't know  if we need to reinstall or rebind the certificate again after replicating the configuration to VPX.

Thanks and Regards

Archived