Welcome to our new Citrix community!

PVS 7.9 Server gets BSOD while promoting some images

Sven Forell

Question

Greetings,

first of all I am sorry for bad grammar; the english language is not my first language.

Some product informations

Two XenDesktop Controller:

XenDesktop Version: 7.6.3.5029

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard x64

Two PVS Server:

Provisiong Services Version: 7.9.0.8201

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard x64

My colleagues and I are encountering a problem when promoting images on both of our PVS Servers.
We manage several images for multiple customers - but there are only two images which produce a bluescreen when promoting a Maintenance Version to Test or Production.The image itself gets promoted but also gets an "Exclusive"-Lock from the promoting PVS Server.

Images are placed on a distributed file system path in the domain, so that both PVS Server share the same source.

The bluescreens occur on both server, but only when promoting two specific images.

The bluescreen dump contains the following informations, indicating that there occurs a stack memory overflow.

Bug Check String: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Bug Check Code: 0x0000007f

Parameter 1: 00000000`00000008

Parameter 2: fffff803`2c2cce70

Parameter 3: ffffd000`22c86f70

Parameter 4: fffff803`2abd035e

Caused by driver: <empty>
Caused by address: <empty>
File Description: <empty>
Product Name: <empty>
Company:  <empty>
File Version: <empty>
Processor: x64

Crash Adress: <empty>
Stack Address 1: <empty>
Stack Address 2: <empty>

Stack Address 3: <empty>

Computer Name: <empty>

Full Path: C:\bsodPVS\MEMORY.DMP
Processors Count: 2
Major Version: 15
Minor Version: 9600
Dump File Size: 1.214.150.702

The images creating these crashes are Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter images.
Nonetheless, other images are also Datacenter, but not creating BSODs on the PVS.

Is it possible, that anyone knows a possible solution to cure this?

Thank you very much in advance!

8 answers to this question

facing same thing. Image is working fine, can restart in maintenance mode 50 times without single hick up. When we promote to production, we will "sometimes" end up with device that will BSOD with various errors from IO1 Initiatlization failed or IRQ errors. At this point I am too fed up with PVS and am considering to save myself the trouble and simply go MCS

Were also experiencing this issue with Windows Server 2012R2 build with LTSR 7.15. 9 CU3.  We tried upgrading to CU4 to see if it would resolve issue, but no luck.   Has anyone found a fix for this issue, Win 8.1, Win 10, Win 2016 images work fine, seems to isolated to only Windows Server 2012R2.  

On 5/3/2019 at 1:17 PM, Paul Deol said:

Were also experiencing this issue with Windows Server 2012R2 build with LTSR 7.15. 9 CU3.  We tried upgrading to CU4 to see if it would resolve issue, but no luck.   Has anyone found a fix for this issue, Win 8.1, Win 10, Win 2016 images work fine, seems to isolated to only Windows Server 2012R2.  

Were you able to fix this? I am seeing similar issues after upgrading to CU4.

2 hours ago, Miroslav Svatos said:

No not really, Citrix recommended to reverse the image and reinstall vmware, vda, pvs in that order. We never did that. We just upgraded PVS client and VDA agent, which got us from that point and since then the situation was calmer, although we do see the issue randomly. Just gave up on trying to fix it...

I am currently running 7.15 LTSR CU4 versions. What version did you upgrade to?