Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows 10 File Type Associations not working

Ralf Peters

Question

Hi,

I am struggling with the default file type association  to apply in windows 10 1607 (14393.2068)    VDA 7.9  UPM 7.16

Using Application layering , i have edited the OEMDefaultAssociation.xml   file in my  OS Layer to  default to   Internet Explorer :

something like this:

<Association Identifier=".htm" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.HTM" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier=".html" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.HTM" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier=".mht" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.MHT" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier=".mhtml" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.MHT" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier=".partial" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.PARTIAL" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier=".svg" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.SVG" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier=".url" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.URL" ApplicationName="Internet Browser" />
  <Association Identifier=".website" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.WEBSITE" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier=".xht" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.XHT" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier=".xhtml" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.XHT" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier="FTP" ProgId="IE.FTP" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier="http" ProgId="IE.HTTP" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier="https" ProgId="IE.HTTPS" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier="MK" ProgId="IE.HTTP" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
  <Association Identifier="RES" ProgId="IE.HTTP" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />

i can reboot my OS layer check the default program and all set to   IE as per xml.

image.thumb.png.ef5762e17a5a7a9183b31943d4740e8d.png

When i run :

Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:c:\FTAdefaults.xml on my OS layer 

the XML only contains the IE settings and not the complete list of associations as mentioned in  numerous post on this topic   ?!

when i publish my image to a PVS (7.9)  server   and log into the  VM (Non-persistent)  is does not set the defaults .

image.thumb.png.df4e8bba9bb3e0925bd51e58ad7e66e5.png

missing the HTTP, HTTPS, FTP  protocol defaults 

tried synchronizing   files AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\usrclass.dat*

tried excluding files  AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\usrclass.dat*

Users can pin apps to the taskbar  and they roam with their profile , it's just the file association that 1. doesn't  seem to use the defaults and 2.  if they set their own  preference it doesn't roam .

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Ralf

6 answers to this question

Hi rpeter555,

I was able to make it work and here's what I did. On my image with all the applications, I configured all my FTA and exported the XML file using the DISM command. I created an App Layer (my preference) and I copied the exported XML into the C:\Windows\system32 folder.  That's all my Default FTA Later contains.

One important thing is that this file is used when the profile is created for the first time.

Hi David,

thanks for the reply ,   i have tried the utility that  cheadin75   referred to , actually i used  the SetDefaultBrowser one,  and that seems to work , it was the browser default i was mainly  after  anyway .

Have you managed to get this working with roaming profiles ?

On 3/7/2018 at 9:06 AM, David Brassard1709156766 said:

Hi rpeter555,

I was able to make it work and here's what I did. On my image with all the applications, I configured all my FTA and exported the XML file using the DISM command. I created an App Layer (my preference) and I copied the exported XML into the C:\Windows\system32 folder.  That's all my Default FTA Later contains.

One important thing is that this file is used when the profile is created for the first time.

quick question on this......so you just used the export on the exported image and only copied the xml to the app layer? (didnt do the import command right?) . and does the xml have to be named something specific or name whatever and just have it live in system32? i'm new to using dism for this so curious how to make it work in this type of setup