Welcome to our new Citrix community!

[SOLVED] Unable to renew XenServer 5.6 and 6.0 licences

Paul Klyvis

Question

Hi, I'm trying to renew the licence for my xenservers (5.6 and 6.0) (I know they're quite old), but the xencenter is not able to reach the activation server when I click on Request activation key button. I've tried going here http://deliver.citrix.com/go/citrix/xenserver_activation and submitting the details, but have never received any email from it. Any help would be massively appreciated!

• Answers 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi,

Unfortunately XenServer 5.6 and 6.0 have been end of life for quite some time. As a result, the activation service which sat behind that form has been taken offline. We will try and get that webpage updated.

There does however continue to be a free version of the product readily available at Citrix.com (currently XenServer 7.3) - I'd recommend updating your hosts to that.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Given the number of people who are still on 5.x and 6.x releases we've written a new request form which will generate a 3-month extension. We highly recommend this is used to upgrade to XenServer 7.3, and given the jump between the releases, I would suggest that you may want to consider a fresh install with XS 7.3 (you can find our installation guide here). 

This service will be operational for the next year, giving time for the transition, however after that point, we will need to take it offline.

https://activate.vmd.citrix.com/

If you hit any issues with this, please let me know.

Thanks.

• Like 1
On 14.2.2018 at 1:53 PM, Rob Dobson said:

Hi,

Unfortunately XenServer 5.6 and 6.0 have been end of life for quite some time. As a result, the activation service which sat behind that form has been taken offline. We will try and get that webpage updated.

There does however continue to be a free version of the product readily available at Citrix.com (currently XenServer 7.3) - I'd recommend updating your hosts to that.

Thanks.

I see that you have provided license to some poeple in here.. can you help me aswell?

• Like 1

I'm having exactly the same issue. I read the service would stop end March, and tried to renew for another 3 month on the 19th and it was already down.

I do not get why they did not give us a change to grab a license that lasted a few years in stead of renewing every 3 months either. I do get support stops after a certain time, but I do not get interrupting a service. And upgrading is not always as easy, as they also dropped a lot of hardware support.

So please give us a way, for at least 6.1, to keep using it. If someone has a license renewed for 6.1 that lasts till June (or even May may help me), please mail me.. fvnispen@gmail.com

• Like 1
On 3/19/2019 at 7:29 AM, Volker Weiterer said:

I think most people understand 5 and 6 edition are EOL, and its also fine that Citrix is retiring the activation license but not letting users boot up their VM's  is like hijacking their systems and completely unacceptable from Citrix as a tech company. I know many people that still have XenServer 6 on datacenters, CentOS/RedHat 6 is still widely supported, no reason why Citrix just pulled the plug this soon. Not to mention EOL hardware drivers that might be not compatible with newer versions. Those environments for labs or air gapped system not connected online will now have the nice surprised that on the next boot all their VM's are bricked. This is UNACCEPTABLE from Citrix. If they are retiring the licenses they should inform customers how to remove that lock or give them a permanent extended license. I cannot see why Citrix was in such a hurry to retire the license activation page. One year from the announcement is not even a decent time frame for home users, not even going to mention virtualization servers that usually run multiple critical workloads... This is not what I call enterprise service.  Red Hat supports their systems between 10 and 15 years. Why the hurry? Its not like the activation server was costing more than a few bucks to maintain. And if that is the problem why not just give the instructions to unlock the machines...

This is making me seriously questioning Citrix when it comes to just going full open source without any vendor lock. I guess we are going to see many pissed people on the following days here on the Citrix forums complaining about this once they find their VM's don't start anymore and are forced to a permanent downtime.

XenServer 6 is based on CentOS 6 still supported by Red Hat. Can someone imagine if they or Microsoft pulled something like this? They just decide to inform customers in one year that their systems are going to stop working. Unacceptable.

Completely Agree, understand that there will be no support by why this block?   Citrix please release a license file that will run at least for few years. 

• Like 1

I didn't see what your hardware was on your message. You might be able to run that hardware on XenServer 7.6/8.0 since those look like newer servers.

If you can run all of your VM's on one server you could pull the other out of the pool and install the latest version and export/import some VM's to see

how it runs. 

I have not heard/seen Citrix provide any extended licenses, but if you contacted them direct and purchased support they might.

--Alan--

• Like 1

Hi, we are having the same issue, because we are not receiving from deliver.citrix.com the requested free license for those servers. Is it possible to get a new license generated, just as you've provided the other user on that post? We are planning to migrate to 7.3 shortly but the current license is expiring in 5 days so we really need to extend it for now.

Thanks very much for your help!

Hi Robdo;

I too am in a bind, trying to  re-license an old XenServer verions 6.0 free edition. I am happy to upgrade to the current version of Xenserver, but need to be able to get my virtual machines running in the short term, while I plan the upgrade. Would you help me get a license for my server also?

Thanks in advance!

Lant

A possible workarround to boot up the VM's again, it's set a previous date using de cli console of server, using the command 'date', with this format: date MMDDhhmm

After that you can start VM's directly from the console GUI of xencenter. 

Maybe you must disable NPT server if you have enabled to avoid date will be restore. It may also be helpful to temporarily disable the network connection.

Once the machine is started you can set the correct date on the guest VM.

Avoid restart or shutdown your vm's until you have a valid license or you have made a backup of your data to planing a upgrade becouse once it is turned off or restarted you will have to repeat the process of changing the date to start it again.

WARNING!
Keep in mind that a change in the date of your server can have negative effects on the software that you run on your VM's, especially on erp software, be carefull.
WARNING!

This workrarround work for me on a Xencenter 6.0.2

Regards!

First, thanks for the effort robdo.

I saw that our server is already version 6.1, must have confused this with our older server.

6.1 is not in the list of available product versions, but choosing 6.0.2 worked flawlessly.

Another small thing, the form requires an address but doesn't seem to allow numbers and spaces.

kind regards and big thanks!

Lukas

1 hour ago, Lukas Crepaz said:

First, thanks for the effort robdo.

I saw that our server is already version 6.1, must have confused this with our older server.

6.1 is not in the list of available product versions, but choosing 6.0.2 worked flawlessly.

Another small thing, the form requires an address but doesn't seem to allow numbers and spaces.

kind regards and big thanks!

Lukas

Thanks Lukas. I've added 6.1/6.2 to the form.

I've also double checked that numbers/spaces are acceptable in the Address 1 / Address 2 fields - though other restrictions on special characters do apply.

Thanks.