Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Deleting old layer versions, whats the impact?

Aaron OReilly

Question

Probably a simple answer, but are app layer versions like PVS vdisk versions in that the latest/last version contains all the cumulative updates from base?  Or does deleting an earlier version from a layer remove all changes made in that particular version when the Layer is published in a template, meaning layer versions will potentially need to be retained for the life of the image/layer?

Thanks,

Aaron

6 answers to this question

On 2/7/2018 at 12:11 AM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Whenever you create a layer version it clones the previous version. So they all stand on their own and you can delete any that you want.  

Rob, apologies for dragging this back up, but just to confirm this will rok for all types of layers (OS, Platform, App). If i have a platform layer with versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc and i want to remove 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 - version 1.4 would still ave all the same data in it along with the previous version data and i can continue with v1.5 etc?

Hi Oliver,

Yes every version starts as a clone of the version you choose when creating the packaging machine.  So you can always delete older versions.  Normally the way that works is that you would always have two or three versions.  So when you add a new version you still keep the current version and the last good version.  When you are happy that the current version is fine you can delete the older version.  You generally want a known good version to fall back to,  

One exception is you should always keep the originally unedited version of your OS layer.  If you then do a feature upgrade of that also keep that until you do the next feature upgrade and if that works fine you can delete the original os layer etc.