Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Reclaim diskspace of the TemporaryStorage.vhdx when using MCS (on Hyper-V)

Chris Marreel

Question

Hello,

We are using MCS with Hyper-V. 

I have configured all the VDI's with 20GB of Temporary Space to hold all the write-actions.  In normal circumstances I notice this only gets to 3 à 4GB in size.  But I have a few of my VDI's who have a 20GB TemporaryStorage.vhdx and I'm looking for a procedure to RECLAIM this diskspace.

What can I do ?  I assume deleting and recreating is one option, but that is to drastic, so I'm looking for an alternative way.

I already found that the 20GB "Disk Cache"-file is "not intialized" when the VDI's are started, so I assume the MCS is handling the content/filestructure inside that VHDX-file.

So I cannot mount this VHDX-file as it doesn't contain a valid filesystem I assume.  But I still want to reclaim the unused diskspace from those VHDX-files.

Thanks for helping me out on this,

Greetings,

Chris Marreel

2 answers to this question

Hello,

The main reason why I'm not a fan of "Deleting" and "Adding" VM's to this machine catalog : all these machines have a DHCP-reservation on their MAC-adress, and recreating these VM's gives them new MAC-adresses on the hypervisor-level, and this involves then a lot of copy/paste actions to set these MAC-adresses correct again.

Shouldn't Citrix implement some kind of a "Reclaime diskspace"-button in the Citrix-Studio that re-initializes that Temporary Space VHDX-file ?

Share your thoughts, I think this is a valuable enhancement request

Greetings,

Chris Marreel

Hi,

Anyone ever had to look for a reclaim process of those TemporaryStorage.vhdx-files ?  At the moment I DELETE the VDI's and re-create them, but there should be a more elegant way.

At the moment I have 40 VDI-stations,  and each VDI-station has a TemporyStorage.VHDX-file of 15 - 19GB, which means 750GB of 'tempory storage'... (on my super-fast SAN = expensive SAN!)

Thanks for helping me further on this.

Greetings,

Chris Marreel