Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Unable to see published apps but desktops work fine

Tony Kelly

Question

All, I must be missing something simple but I can't figure out what it is.  I'm running an environment with both XenApp/XenDesktop 7.6 and XenApp/XenDesktop 7.15.  I have both environments being presented by a single 3.7 StoreFront store.  Right now I see desktops from both environments but I am only seeing published apps from the 7.6 environment.  In troubleshooting I have a separate 3.7 StoreFront server that I pointed to ONLY the 7.15 environment and still can only see desktops and not published apps.  So my focus has shifted to only get the StoreFront 3.7 and XenApp 7.15 working but I have been having no luck.  Since I can get the XenDesktop systems working and can access them and I can get the 7.6 apps to show when I am setup that way I assume all of the certificates and secure channels are working fine.  The servers that I am publishing apps from are 2012 R2 servers running the 7.15 VDA.  I'm looking for some direction here before I jump on a support call.  I'm not sure what other information might be useful to help trouble shoot.  Thanks in advance.

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Tony Kelly said:

All, I must be missing something simple but I can't figure out what it is.  I'm running an environment with both XenApp/XenDesktop 7.6 and XenApp/XenDesktop 7.15.  I have both environments being presented by a single 3.7 StoreFront store.  Right now I see desktops from both environments but I am only seeing published apps from the 7.6 environment.  In troubleshooting I have a separate 3.7 StoreFront server that I pointed to ONLY the 7.15 environment and still can only see desktops and not published apps.  So my focus has shifted to only get the StoreFront 3.7 and XenApp 7.15 working but I have been having no luck.  Since I can get the XenDesktop systems working and can access them and I can get the 7.6 apps to show when I am setup that way I assume all of the certificates and secure channels are working fine.  The servers that I am publishing apps from are 2012 R2 servers running the 7.15 VDA.  I'm looking for some direction here before I jump on a support call.  I'm not sure what other information might be useful to help trouble shoot.  Thanks in advance.

I neglected to add that I AM able to publish a desktop from the very same server that I'm unable to publish apps from.  I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the VDA again today to see if that makes a difference.

13 hours ago, James Kindon said:

just a quick one - are you publishing apps from the same delivery group as you are publishing desktops? 

Given that enumeration of desktops is working, it almost sounds like something funky with the permissions/assignments on the delivery group in 7.15...

Well, I've tested with both scenarios and with the same results.  The original and long-term plan is that Desktops will be publishing from one DG and apps from another DG.  For testing I then published the desktop from the same DG.  In both scenarios the desktops showed up and I was able to connect to them but the apps were not enumerated.  So that seems like the permissions are OK, the communication from StoreFront to controller to VDA is fine.  I've reinstalled the VDA and I've deleted the deliver group and re-created it just to make sure I didn't miss any sort of setting.  I'm really at a loss here.  I'm about to be out of the office for a week so it looks like I probably just need to open an actual support ticket when I get back unless one of you guys/gals have an awesome breakthrough. :)

14 minutes ago, James Kindon said:

This is tricky without seeing the environment - it appears to display the same symptoms as when you have assigned an AD group to an app, but haven’t put that AD group on the delivery group itself ..... if it’s not that then support is probably your fastest option 

You are going down the same path I did so at least that makes me feel better.  To try to help ensure that wasn't the issue I initially used AD groups at the DG level and specifically to each app instead of just saying everyone in the DG.  I then assigned it specifically to two difference IDs, first individually at each levels one at a time and then at both levels.  Didn't see any difference there either.  It's been a real head scratcher for me.

8 hours ago, Tony Kelly said:

You are going down the same path I did so at least that makes me feel better.  To try to help ensure that wasn't the issue I initially used AD groups at the DG level and specifically to each app instead of just saying everyone in the DG.  I then assigned it specifically to two difference IDs, first individually at each levels one at a time and then at both levels.  Didn't see any difference there either.  It's been a real head scratcher for me.

OK I noticed that I'm getting a couple of errors that MAY or MAY NOT be related.  I'm seeing event ID 2 and 7 in the Citrix Delivery Services event log.  Event ID 7 is for Citrix Store Service and event ID 2 is Citrix Receiver for Web.

----------

Unhandled exception thrown for route "DazzleResources/Image"

System.ArgumentException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Parameter is not valid.

at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Stream stream)

at Citrix.DeliveryServices.ResourcesCommon.Wing.WingAdaptors.Icons.Ico.WingIco.GetImageStreamForPngEntry(IcoImageEntry entry, ImageFormat targetFormat, Int32 targetSize)

at Citrix.DeliveryServices.ResourcesCommon.Wing.WingAdaptors.Icons.Ico.WingIco.GetImage(ImageFormat desiredFormat, Int32 desiredSize, Nullable`1 desiredDepth)

at Citrix.DeliveryServices.ResourcesCommon.Wing.WingAdaptors.Icons.ImageSet.CreateImage(ImageParametersQuery queryParameters)

at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory)

at Citrix.DeliveryServices.ResourcesCommon.Wing.WingAdaptors.Icons.ImageCache.TryGetImage(String thumbprint, ImageParametersQuery parameters, IImageContent& content)

at Citrix.DeliveryServices.DazzleResources.Web.Controllers.DazzleResourcesController.<GetImage>d__3f.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at Citrix.DeliveryServices.DazzleResources.Web.Controllers.DazzleResourcesController.<Image>d__25.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at lambda_method(Closure , Task )

at System.Web.Mvc.Async.TaskAsyncActionDescriptor.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass3f.<BeginInvokeAsynchronousActionMethod>b__3e(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeActionMethod(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass37.<>c__DisplayClass39.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__33()

at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass4f.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronously>b__49()

at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass4f.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronously>b__49()

at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeActionMethodWithFilters(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass25.<>c__DisplayClass2a.<BeginInvokeAction>b__20()

at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass25.<BeginInvokeAction>b__22(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

----------

There was an error during an icon request.

System.Net.WebException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Url: https://127.0.0.1/Citrix/MyApps/resources/v2/WC9SaUc3dXlSRXhqaUZrai8vS2VIS3RUb09rPQ--/image/128?clientName=WR_ruVhNSck086epRn9_

ExceptionStatus: ProtocolError

ResponseStatus: InternalServerError

at Citrix.DeliveryServicesClients.Resources.ResourcesClient.TryGetChallenge(Exception ex, String serviceUrl)

at Citrix.DeliveryServicesClients.Resources.ResourcesClient.GetPNGImage(String serviceUrl, String token, Int32 size, Dictionary`2 extraHeaders, String clientAddress, String clientName, CitrixAuthChallenge& challenge)

at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Web.IconCache.FileSystemIconCache.GetIconFromDS(String iconUrl, String id, Int32 size, String token, Dictionary`2 extraHeaders, String clientAddress, String clientName)

at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Web.IconCache.FileSystemIconCache.GetIcon(String token, String id, String iconUrl, Int32 size, Dictionary`2 extraHeaders, String clientAddress, String clientName, Exception& iconPersistenceException)

at Citrix.Web.StoreProxy.Controllers.ResourcesController.Icon(String id, Int32 size)

mmodin270,

I'm not sure if it's the same issue or not but mine turned out to be an issue with the delivery group.  The original DG had been created using the PowerShell cmdlets.  After working with support the thing that corrected the issue was to delete the problem DG and recreate it using the GUI.  I'm not sure if it was a bug or something that had been done with the cmdlets but either way there has not been an issue since then.

18 hours ago, Tony Kelly said:

mmodin270,

I'm not sure if it's the same issue or not but mine turned out to be an issue with the delivery group.  The original DG had been created using the PowerShell cmdlets.  After working with support the thing that corrected the issue was to delete the problem DG and recreate it using the GUI.  I'm not sure if it was a bug or something that had been done with the cmdlets but either way there has not been an issue since then.

Thanlk you for the feedback