Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenServer tools 7.3, Windows 10 - Explorer.exe crash?

Rob Hall

Question

Good morning everyone,

Is anyone out there running into any issues with 7.3 Xentools and Windows 10? We're running 1607 (LTSR) in a VDI environment, and when I upgraded to 7.3 and upgraded Xentools, explorer.exe crashes over & over again. The VM is totally responsive, and if you open task manager and run explorer via "run new task", the shell will come back, but it'll disappear again within minutes, and the start button no longer functions (left or right click). I set up a VM and ONLY installed Xentools, and was able to replicate the issue. Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

This is still happening. I can't update any of our vDisks because as soon as I change ANYTHING and reboot the VM, explorer starts crashing.

Event Viewer is reporting the crash is being caused by TwinUI.dll, and all the Microsoft Docs point to the video driver, but I just don't believe that to be the case, as it can happen with no changes to the video settings. For example, the last time it happened, all I did was change the TCP offload settings for the NIC. Deleted the maintenance image and started over, didn't change the TCP settings, installed the WEM agent. Restarted, crash.

Bringing this back, it's still happening. I deleted the maintenance VM and created a new one from scratch, and that seemed to circumvent the issue for a few months, but now it's came back, and nothing I do resolves it. I'm very very close to blowing the entire cluster away and replacing it with VMWare.

Just now, Alan Lantz said:

Have you tried the lastest XenTools and not the one that comes with 7.3 ? And are you sure its the XenTools that is the issue ? 

--Alan--

I have. And no, I'm not sure it's Xentools - but that's the most likely culprit. The only other thing I can see as a possibility would be the PVS Agent, but I doubt that because it's worked fine up until now.  The behavior is, the system boots once normally, and when it's rebooted after that, the issue crops up. It's like a driver updates in the background and the whole thing goes down the tubes. 

Just following up on this - I finally discovered the root cause, and it wasn't XenServer.
Apparently there is an issue with any version of Citrix UPM higher than 7.15.0 and certain Windows Group Policy service settings regarding Windows Updates. If those are enabled, this issue appears. The solution was to disable those GPO objects.