Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Occasionally get "Cannot start app" when launching

Jay Stinson

Question

Occasionally a user will get the popup in StoreFront 3.8 Cannot start app "name" when launching an app. In the Event Log it says

Citrix Store Service Event ID 0

No available resource found for user * when accessing desktop group <app name>. ... 

Event ID 28

Failed to launch the resource <Site name.app name> using the Citrix XML Service at address <delivery controller 2>. The XML service returned error: 'no-available-workstation'.

The responding delivery controller has a similar event Citrix Broker Service Event ID 1101 "The Citrix Broker Service failed to broker a connection for user * to resource <app name>. The Citrix Broker Service cannot find any available virtual machines."

All servers in the group are up and registered. No connectivity issues that I'm aware of. Nothing in the server logs except possibly a connection failure event around the same time. Other users are already logged in and working on all servers. Subsequent launch attempts are immediately successful. The error seems to appear randomly maybe twice a day. Not tied to a specific user or workstation.

What other factors could be causing this? We use smart card authentication and have a timeout on the StoreFront. I was wondering if the user was possibly trying to launch from a stale page, but I don't know if it would make it that far in that case.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

11 answers to this question

Hi  jaystin83,

Could you please check whether you have used any "dots or blanks" in Storefront farm names for event ID 28 error. Please refer the following document:

http://blog.sachathomet.ch/2016/03/15/avoid-blanks-and-dots-in-storefront-3-5-farm-names/

For the delivery controller event Citrix Broker Service Event ID 1011, please check the following CTX article link:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX134190

Regards,

Apoorv

Apoorvg,

Thanks for the response. We do use "dots and blanks" in our Delivery Controller display names, but this has never been a problem. We are on StoreFront 3.8 so that issue may be resolved in later versions (you mention 3.5). The issue we are seeing with users being unable to launch an app is very rare, random, and short lived. The user can launch the app immediately after getting the error.

The other link for CTX134190 seems to fit the problem, but I'm talking about XenApp server VDA not desktops. Power management IS being used, but the Power State is always "Unknown" because the VM is located inside a VMware vApp container. Apparently this is a known issue. But again, it hasn't caused any harm so far since servers don't reboot after use.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Are you running the applications from XenApp or XenDesktop? The error would indicate there are no available servers to service the request. This might be that, in the case of XenApp, that all servers in the delivery group have a load of 100% at that point in time.

Hi everyone.

Old post, but same problem. My configuration:

Sf 3.12 balanced throught NS

XenDesktop 7.15 CU3

Randomly i see same errors in SF and controller - The XML service returned error: 'no-available-workstation'.

All servers are registered, and load is less than 5000.

i have about 2500 users, and see from 1 to 7 events a day.

It seems that second launch is always successful.

Tried to update Server VDA to CU4 - same result.

Anyone has ideas?

On 5/9/2018 at 7:37 PM, Pete Clark said:

Are you running the applications from XenApp or XenDesktop? The error would indicate there are no available servers to service the request. This might be that, in the case of XenApp, that all servers in the delivery group have a load of 100% at that point in time.

Please correct me if I am wrong. When you said the delivery group has a load of 100%, the users may encounter cannot start app? Is my understanding correct?

Where can I check the load?