Welcome to our new Citrix community!

picadm.sys BSOD is back, thanks Citrix!

Question

Hello everyone,

I believe Citrix managed to resuscitate an issue which dates from the old XenApp 6.x times (and 7.6 I believe as well).

In our XenApp 7.15 LTSR environment we have servers that randomly crash because of the picadm.sys module, we believe this happens while users try to upload files from their local mapped drives.

We tried 7.15 CU1, 7.16, but the issue is still there. The temporary workaround is to tell users not to use their local driver, but that cannot last forever.

We have a Citrix ticket that has been escalated, but I was wondering whether anyone else has had the same issue on this version.

Cheers

Seb

picadm.png

On 6.12.2017 at 9:20 PM, Sebastiano Ingallo1709155720 said:

Hello everyone,

I believe Citrix managed to resuscitate an issue which dates from the old XenApp 6.x times (and 7.6 I believe as well).

In our XenApp 7.15 LTSR environment we have servers that randomly crash because of the picadm.sys module, we believe this happens while users try to upload files from their local mapped drives.

We tried 7.15 CU1, 7.16, but the issue is still there. The temporary workaround is to tell users not to use their local driver, but that cannot last forever.

We have a Citrix ticket that has been escalated, but I was wondering whether anyone else has had the same issue on this version.

Cheers

Seb

picadm.png

Hi, Please post the ID for the Fix when you get it.

You might not believe me, but my case has been escalated the 6th of december, and since then no news at all, not even an answer from the escalation engineer. I called them on Friday, they apologized and said the escalation engineer was ‘unreachable’, can you believe? Our servers are crashing in production and the engineer is ‘unreachable ‘...

not only their products are buggier than ever, now also the support is getting worst... this rush against the competition is driving them to hell

by the way, we reproduced the same issue on 7.13, 7.15, 7.15 CU1, and 7.16

We have been able to reproduce the exact error. It basically occurs for us when a user tries to save a PDF using a specific program (PDF X-Change) to a Redirected drive (hence the picadm.sys). Immediate blue screen and dump file generated referencing ntsokrnl.sys.

Further analysis of the dump file points to both PDF X-CHange and picadm.sys.

To work around we have set all client redirected drives to read only. We can also confirm that this does not occur when using Adobe Reader to save PDFs.

My collegue is going to raise a support case with Citrix. If I hear anything back I will post it here.

We have VDA version 7.15 with Windows Server 2016. I think this is isolated to Server 2016 and PDF X-Change or similar with saving to redirected drives as we have other clients using the same VDA and OS version without this issue.

Edited by zkhan7861
Add VDA version
10 hours ago, Erlend Oslashyen said:

Hi 

we see this issue in a PVS environment, with XenServer 7.2, Windows server 2016, XenApp 7.16

no dump file created, memory usage goes to 100% within 10 minutes, before the target device ends up with BSOD: 

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

beware the wwe discovered another bug in 7.16, in some circumstances the Windows WMI service gets to use up to 50% of CPU. this issue is not there in 7.15 CU1. 

2 minutes ago, Sebastiano Ingallo1709155720 said:

beware the wwe discovered another bug in 7.16, in some circumstances the Windows WMI service gets to use up to 50% of CPU. this issue is not there in 7.15 CU1. 

ok, we rolled back to a older image with 7.15 last night because off: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX230935

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/391485-xenapp-716-windows-2016-random-disconnects/?page=2

8 hours ago, Zubair Khan said:

We have been able to reproduce the exact error. It basically occurs for us when a user tries to save a PDF using a specific program (PDF X-Change) to a Redirected drive (hence the picadm.sys). Immediate blue screen and dump file generated referencing ntsokrnl.sys.

We also use PDF X-Change in combination with XenApp 7.15 CU1. But not sure if this BSOD occurs when saving PDF to a redirected drive. This could well be the case...

Currently this environment is production stage and unable to verify this as of now. Thanks for the update!

Other XenApp 7.15 environments also have drive redirection enabled, without PDF-X Change and do not experience any BSODs.

3 hours ago, Richard Boksebeld1709152755 said:

We also use PDF X-Change in combination with XenApp 7.15 CU1. But not sure if this BSOD occurs when saving PDF to a redirected drive. This could well be the case...

Currently this environment is production stage and unable to verify this as of now. Thanks for the update!

Other XenApp 7.15 environments also have drive redirection enabled, without PDF-X Change and do not experience any BSODs.

I'd say it's more than likely PDF-X Change causing the issue. We added an additonal machine to the catlogue and published just that one machine to a test delivery group to do some testing and was able to replicate the issue 100% of the time on this test server.

We also having the same issues, when drive redirection is enabled and a user saving a .pdf file from PDFXchange to the redirected drive, the XenApp VM has a BSOD.

This does not happen with other applications, as Office, Adobe. As a workaround we disabled redirection.

We use Xenapp 7.15 CU1 and PDFXchange V6 (V7 also same problem).

btw. PDFXchange is no longer opening PDF files from SharePoint, opening with grey screen, not sure if this is related.

Tracker Software is aware of this problem and is working on it...

I'll ask Tracker if the problem with XenApp is a known issue...

7 minutes ago, Lucien Roelofs said:

We also having the same issues, when drive redirection is enabled and a user saving a .pdf file from PDFXchange to the redirected drive, the XenApp VM has a BSOD.

This does not happen with other applications, as Office, Adobe. As a workaround we disabled redirection.

We use Xenapp 7.15 CU1 and PDFXchange V6 (V7 also same problem).

btw. PDFXchange is no longer opening PDF files from SharePoint, opening with grey screen, not sure if this is related.

Tracker Software is aware of this problem and is working on it...

I'll ask Tracker if the problem with XenApp is a known issue...

Thanks, Seems like it may be just isolated to PDFXchange. I'd like to hear from anyone else who is experiencing the BSOD as well. Let us know how you go with Tracker.

On 09/01/2018 at 2:44 PM, Marco Piesold said:

There is a new PDF XChange release, 7.0.323.2. Maybe this will help?

Just installed and tested this new version in our Dev environment and same issue occurs. We have noticed that the only time it blue screens is if you actually EDIT the pdf in PDF Exchange. 

If you open a pdf and save it to a redirected drive without editing it - it doesn't crash. Can't believe there isn't a fix yet.