Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix reboot schedule frequency

Stefanos Evangelou1709159370

Question

Hello, 

I have a PVS farm and have set up the Citrix Reboot Framework to reboot the PVS target devices once a week. This has eliminated various issues which appeared when less frequent reboot schedules were in place.

1) I would like to open a discussion and exchange thoughts/opinions regarding what target device reboot frequency other users/admins are using in their PVS environments and what approaches are being used for the reboot (Citrix Reboot Framework, System Center, custom Powershell script, etc). 

2) What are some of the typical issues you have seen in your environment due to the VDA servers being without reboot for a long time?

3 answers to this question

On 11/30/2017 at 6:42 AM, Stefanos Evangelou said:

Hello, 

I have a PVS farm and have set up the Citrix Reboot Framework to reboot the PVS target devices once a week. This has eliminated various issues which appeared when less frequent reboot schedules were in place.

1) I would like to open a discussion and exchange thoughts/opinions regarding what target device reboot frequency other users/admins are using in their PVS environments and what approaches are being used for the reboot (Citrix Reboot Framework, System Center, custom Powershell script, etc). 

2) What are some of the typical issues you have seen in your environment due to the VDA servers being without reboot for a long time?

We actually have 45Gb Write Cache drives and 32Gb of RAM per provisioned XenApp server so we reboot them every 35-40 days.

We use the cache in device ram feature, btw, so we never hit the write cache drive.

I have looked after many sites over the last 23 years.  I find a whole lot of problems go away when your XenApp servers are rebooted regularly.  When I can I reboot nightly I do it at stagger reboot intervals in the early am. 

On another site I reboot XenApp servers twice a week.  At 4:00pm I run a script to execute:  change logon /drainuntilrestart

at 4:00am I do a reboot.   I do a third of the servers in the XenApp fleet each night over 3 consecutive nights twice a week.  This works well for twice weekly reboots.

The PVS Servers I reboot weekly.  They are in a HA pair and the fail over works fine so there is no impact on the users.  This is consistent with recommendations from Citrix consulting.

Nightly reboots can be justified from a Cyber Security perspective.  Any infection that get is in is blown away by the nightly reboots as the rebooted server reverts back to the clean vDisk image.  While we are talking Cyber Security use whitelisting on your XenApp servers rather than the traditional blacklisting approach of anti-virus scanning.  It puts a much lower load on the XenApp server and is more effective