Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix 7.15 / WEM 4.4 / Windows Server 2016 Constant Explorer crash on Logon

Pascal Bart

Question

Hello Guys

We have installed a brand new Citrix 7.15 Farm with a separate WEM 4.4 Server and a Citrix Application Server + separate  Storefront + separate Delivery Controller. Now WEM is new to us and I followed a Guide on the Web and we came into a massive issue that now even affects the domain admin upon login. All Server are Windows Server 2016 Virtualized with VMware.

At first it only applied to users connecting through the Storefront via WebAcess, but today it affects also the Admin we are using.

The Login is very quick, however once we login through RDP, the Desktop begins flashing and we can't do anything. Only Option is to disconnect the the RDP Session. Before it started to affect also the Domain Admin, I checked the Event Viewer and Explorer.exe kept on Crashing every 2 Seconds. TwinUI.dll is the Module which is causing the Fault. I can't find a proper good working solution on the Internet with Citrix WEM 4.4 or earlier Versions.

It seems that a Setting in WEM is causing this Problem, but I can't find it.  Does anyone know what is actually going on and how I could solve this Problem ?

Also it seems that the Profile on the FileServer is not being created at all, a Local Profile does get created but it none on the FileServer, with the Path being Set in WEM.

Thanks a lot for any possible hints. If anyone needs any further Information or a look at the WEM Settings, fire away!

Kind Regards

Winter

15 answers to this question

Just to update the post, problems were primarily related to UPM.

1. Issue was corruption with default user NTUser.Dat, resolved as per https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX135766

2. Folder redirection is completely sporadic - variables are only sometimes be honoured - recommend move back to GPO for stability, This is an issue that is popping up a fair bit

Good luck with the rest of your deployment mate

J

• Like 2

Cheers mate. I will do that and load the default Configuration Set. I already have 2 configuration Sets loaded in the Agent, I wish there would be a function to actually delete a not needed configuration set in WEM, so the Agent won't get the wrong Configuration Set Settings. 

I did the Guide btw through the Carlstalhood Guide which is pretty good. I used the WEM Hydration Kit and Imported several Actions into a new Configuration Set. 

Cheers

Winter

Ok I switched to the Default Site and Default Settings. I can login as an Admin now without any issues, but still with the Storefront Web Connection and a different User it flashes once I land on the Desktop. I have also now 2 Configuration Sets active. How do I get rid of the one I don't need? 

Citrix.png

I believe I found the Issue, however it's weird and new to me :

2017-11-13;15:48:40.003;ERROR;Company;pba;4;868;UpmUserStore::UpdateNtuserDatWithLastGoodLoad: There is no NTUSER.DAT.LASTGOODLOAD in the path:\\fileserver\profiles\pba\Win2016v6\UPM_Profile\NTUSER.DAT.LASTGOODLOAD 0x2. The system cannot find the file specified.
2017-11-13;15:48:40.019;WARNING;Company;pba;4;868;QueryLocalProfile: Deleting stale ProfileList entry for user with SID <S-1-5-21-1374035064-824977309-1233803906-4447> pointing to <C:\Users\pba>.
2017-11-13;15:48:43.300;ERROR;Company;pba;4;868;RecurseRegistry: Opening the key <S-1-5-21-1374035064-824977309-1233803906-4447_tmp\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\ProtectedRoots> failed with: Access is denied.
2017-11-13;15:48:43.300;ERROR;Company;pba;4;868;CRegistryHive::ResetSecurity: Failed to reset security on registry hive <C:\Users\pba\NTUSER.DAT>.
2017-11-13;15:48:43.300;ERROR;Company;pba;4;868;CreateLocalProfileFromTemplate: Could not create a local profile from a template: Access is denied.
2017-11-13;15:48:43.550;ERROR;Company;pba;4;868;ProcessLogon: SetupLocalProfile failed

I thought that Citrix will create those Profiles on the FileServer on it's own?

You can delete your second config set within WEM itself 

image.thumb.png.609281c9922a6a58b645725fbe6ce1f3.png

Secondly, whilst we work through this, i think you should exempt your admins from being processed

image.png.f9d4dee8d5b2f328ea7f982582cf65d9.png

And for your Profile Management Stuff, are you running it via WEM? If so, lets disable it for now and get you stable with just WEM, then we can sort UPM

Regarding UPM, it will create the profile in one of two ways either a) from the local default user profile on the server the user logs onto, or b) from a predefined mandatory profile. If it has issues reading into the source, it will fail. Have you read Carl's guide on setting up UPM? That's the best one out there. I also, against the grain somewhat, still stick with driving UPM out of GPO, i find it a much more stable delivery method 

J

Hey James

Thanks for your Feedback. Yes, right now the whole Profile Management Stuff is being run only through WEM without any GPO's, as apparently it should work, at least according to Websites. I did check Carl's Guide on the UPM Setup and tried to kinda apply it towards WEM. Now last night we got that Far that the User can login, the Desktop Blinking Effect still happens, yet in the UPM Log there are no more Errors. However the User Profile is still not being created on the Fileserver Share. Since we can't really logoff the User due to the Desktop Blinking Effect, and not being able to "interact" with the Desktop, the only Option is to actually disconnect the Citrix Session and force logoff the User from the Citrix Application Server. 

I will post some new Information about the current WEM Setup later on. 

Cheers and thanks for sticking around and providing important Input @James Kindon

Winter 

No problem :) With WEM, there is nothing wrong with running UPM through it at all - it does work (and i have multiple clients running it) i just have a personal preference for GPO - but that's much of a muchness, reason i was looking at it in the scenario is i would like to try to simplify the troubleshooting 

I am not sure what your timezone is, but feel free to direct message me via my profile and if it suits i can get eyes on the environment with you

James

Good Morning 

Made 2 Screenshots of the current Settings. Keep in mind that we played with the User Profile Path a lot. 

I haven't yet really found a guide on the Web that goes into Detail in setting up the whole Citrix Profile Management Part in WEM at all, that leaves me thinking if may actually are missing out on something or something has been setup wrong here. 

Cheers

Winter

Citrix01.png

Citrix02.png

Can we try basic testing of disabling Profile Management Completely and testing if you still get the flickering going on for sessions?

As a side note, I tend to use this string as my default profile path: \\Server\CTXProfiles\%username%.%userdomain%\!CTX_OSNAME!!CTX_PROFILEVER!

Every setting in Carl's UPM post is also to be configured here but i think its more important to figure out where the break point is - try disabling UPM (untick Enable Profile Management Configuration), refresh WEM cache and reboot server. We need to iron out if its UPM, WEM, UPM and WEM, or something else entirely thats causing problems

Hey James

Thanks for your Reply. I was just about to send you a PM, however it states that you cannot receive messages. My Timezone is GMT+1. 

We made a Test yesterday with the following default profile path string:

\\Server\CTXProfiles\#SAMAccountName#\!CTX_OSNAME!!CTX_PROFILEVER!

that however wasn't very successfull either. We will keep trying. 

Cheers

Winter

James Kindon was able to help me out. His Support was truly amazing and we finally got our problem resolved and also got a good insight towards wem as for what is possible and whatnot :)

@James Kindon

Your support was really amazing., thank you very much :)

This case could be closed now. 

Kind Regards

Pascal 

16 minutes ago, Pascal Bart said:

James Kindon was able to help me out. His Support was truly amazing and we finally got our problem resolved and also got a good insight towards wem as for what is possible and whatnot :)

@James Kindon

Your support was really amazing., thank you very much :)

This case could be closed now. 

Kind Regards

Pascal 

A pleasure mate, glad you are in a good place

James