Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Why do we deploy tcp 443 instead of ssl_bridge on vserver ?

Amar Aditya

Hi Everyone,

I was working with an user request . In the user request they mentioned that they need to create a TCP 443 vserver.

So i checked with them they insisted to use tcp 443 neither ssl_bridge nor full ssl mode.

Currently VServer is up & running fine (similar to ssl_bridge) but from this i got into few question.

Why do we use tcp 443?

what is difference between this two deployment ?

In SSL_BRIDGE, the SSL traffic is sent untouched to the back-end server. Since the NetScaler only sees the encrypted traffic, SSL_BRIDGE cannot take advantage of advanced features (Content switching, for example). It's used mostly when all you need is load-balancing. You don't need an SSL certificate on the NetScaler (since SSL processing is done by the web server).

In SSL (tcp 443 or SSL offload), the connection is terminated at the NetScaler, and a new connection is made to the back-end server. You need to bind an SSL certificate to the vServer.

14 minutes ago, Sam Jacobs said:

In SSL_BRIDGE, the SSL traffic is sent untouched to the back-end server. Since the NetScaler only sees the encrypted traffic, SSL_BRIDGE cannot take advantage of advanced features (Content switching, for example). It's used mostly when all you need is load-balancing. You don't need an SSL certificate on the NetScaler (since SSL processing is done by the web server).

In SSL (tcp 443 or SSL offload), the connection is terminated at the NetScaler, and a new connection is made to the back-end server. You need to bind an SSL certificate to the vServer.

TCP 443 does not need a Certificate. 

For SSL_BRIDGE as well SNIP initiates the connection. (Just forwards the request it gets as it cannot modify any SSL parameters)

In answer to your original question: Why TCP 443 over SSL_BRIDGE? It's because (as mentioned above) you can't take advantage of advanced NetScaler features with SSL_BRIDGE.

So the question now is: Why TCP 443 rather than SSL? Other than not requiring an SSL certificate on NetScaler, I'm not sure (since HTTPS supports all persistence types supported by TCP).

• Like 1

• 3 years later...