Citrix App Layering (Unidesk Management Console) Silverlight Dilemma

Tim Basher

Question

In 2013, Microsoft announced they are no longer developing Silverlight. While Microsoft is going to be releasing bug fixes and patches for Silverlight 5 until 2021, browsers have already started to drop total support for Silverlight (especially Chromium-based browsers). When is Citrix planning on dropping Silverlight and releasing an HTML5 version of the Management Console? Being stuck on IE11 to manage our environment is no fun (to put it lightly).

Everyone else is working toward an HTML5 interface. Heck, even VMware is piloting partially-functioning HTML5 interfaces for vCenter and vSphere. Is there a beta we can try? I would be completely all for a Lab option in Unidesk to try out an HTML5 version of the interface.

10 answers to this question

58 minutes ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

If you use Citrix Cloud to manage your ELM, then there’s no need to install Silverlight. It’s a free service at layering.cloud.com. 

Thank you for your reply. I was already aware of Citrix Cloud and that it is mostly still a "Lab" at the moment. I'm a little turned off to the idea that I have to set up a Windows Server as a broker between App Layering and Citrix Cloud. It wouldn't be a big deal if I had other Citrix products, but I don't. I was a Unidesk customer first and was sucked into Citrix when they were bought out.

Reading into Citrix Cloud more it appears that Citrix's plan is to move "all" products into this cloud interface. Not ideal, but nothing I can do about it. There should still be a way manage App Layering through a standard HTTPS connection without dependence on an Internet-based service. Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

I use Firefox version 51 and it works fine i know newer versions are a problem but maybe that will help with your dilemma.

The work has begun on the UI but it will take quite a while to complete.

Rob

Ah ha. So the Unidesk team is working on a new UI to replace the Silverlight interface. That's all I needed to know. Using IE as a workaround is fine, but with the deadlines of Silverlight, Java, and Flash coming down the pike I was worried about what I would have to do to continue using Unidesk (like installing older, insecure browsers). Our organization has a strict policy on software which prevents us from using old versions of anything. 

Thanks, Rob, for the info. If there is a list of orgs for closed betas or anything like that, sign us up. I would love to test it out when you guys get to that point.