Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenDesktop 7.15 , MCS on AWS

Abhishek Barve1709158780

Question

Experts,

Have you got a chance to provision VDA on AWS using MCS.

I was able to create MCS catalog using AWS connection. I created an AMI in AWS and used the same in MCS Catalog to create machines. When i look at AWS console.

I have got instances created as i specified in catalog wizard, I have homeworker instances, I also see snapshots of 8GB.

I'm interested to understand the catalog update process, If anyone can list steps in detail.

I think steps should be;

• First Launch a new instance from current AMI,
  • Install required software
  • Create a new image from that instance
  • Update MCS catalogs to point to new AMI

Want to understand what all tasks happen behind the scene when working with MCS on AWS, any recommendations on snapshot cleanup etc would be appreciated too.

Didn't find any document from Citrix and no luck with Citrix support.

Anyone got MCS working with AWS with XenDesktop 7.6.0 

Thanks,Abhishek

1 answer to this question

"Want to understand what all tasks happen behind the scene when working with MCS on AWS, any recommendations on snapshot cleanup etc would be appreciated too."

I do too!

We're very focused on security in AWS. I need to know more about what minimum permissions/privileges are required for the MCS process to succeed in AWS.

For instance, we don't want the account we configured for Citrix to use to have full permission to create, delete, modify, etc.. anything/everything in S3. Do we need to create a Service Control Policy that restricts that account to only being able to create, delete, modify, etc... buckets that match the naming convention Citrix uses in the MCS process?

Another example is.. what IAM role is attached to the temporary instance that gets created? What are the bare minimum requirements for it to be able to get what it needs from S3 bucket?

BTW, we're using Dedicated Instances (for MS Windows 10 BYOL license compliance) and noticed that we have to select a specific availability zone when defining the Machine Catalog. There is no "let AWS choose" option.

Following