Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenApp 7.12 MCS Failing to create machine Catalog in AWS - Error Id: XDDS:2367399E

Kreston Yates

Question

When trying to setup MCS in AWS I get the following error.

Error Id: XDDS:2367399E

Exception:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ProvisioningTaskException A volume service instance could not be launched in your cloud connection. In Studio, select Hosting in the left pane and then select the cloud connection. Click Test Connection in the Actions pane. The test results should provide additional information.
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.CheckForTerminatingError(SdkProvisioningSchemeAction sdkProvisioningSchemeAction)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.StartProvisioningAction()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.RunTask()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : ProvisioningTaskError
    ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
    ErrorID : NoDiskContentTransferService
    TaskErrorInformation : Terminated
    InternalErrorMessage : No facility available for disk upload. No facility available for disk upload. Unable to create any functioning volume service VMs.
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : Create Machine Catalog 'DemoMCS'
    2/2/2017 7:33:48 PM

I've verified I have the appropriate permissions via this doc: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX140429?_ga=1.244258945.569231981.1478201969

I successfully get through the entire create new machine catalog section in studio, its states its creating the catalog and in AWS, under instances i see it create a new instance then studio gives the above error and AWS changes the instance to terminated and removes it. 

Any pointers would be appreciated.

12 answers to this question

Hi, Kreston.

Do you have a default VPC with a default subnet available in the Amazon region that you are using?

Amazon should have created a default VPC for you in every region. It should have a default subnet out of the box. This is where the "XenDesktop Temp" instance should run. If you have deleted your default subnet or default VPC, then this might explain the failure.

Unfortunately, default VPCs cannot be recreated manually. You have to ask Amazon support to re-build them for you if they have been deleted.

Could you please check whether your default VPC is available in the region where you are trying to provision?

Thanks,

Paul.

• Like 1

Hello, Kreston.

This failure message is unfortunately quite common, but can have a variety of causes, so I'll need to ask some questions about how far through the process it is getting before it fails.

Could you please respond to the following points to help me diagnose the issue?

(1). Is there an instance with a name like "Preparation - XXX" created (where XXX is the name of the catalog)?

(2). Is there an instance called "XenDesktop Temp" created?

(3). If so, does the "XenDesktop Temp" instance run for a few minutes before shutting down? Or does it run for a very long time (like 30 minutes or more)?

(4). Are any instances with names like "Citrix.XD.VolumeWorker" created?

Could you also let me know whether your AWS account supports EC2 Classic execution as well as VPC? You can determine this by looking in the AWS management console at the EC2 dashboard page. In the upper right corner of this page, there is an Account Attributes section and a sub-heading Supported Platforms. Does it list both EC2 and VPC in the Supported Platforms, or just VPC?

Finally, overall, how long is the process taking before it fails? How much time is elapsing between when you end the catalog wizard and when you see the error message?

Sorry for all those questions, but the answers might shed some light on where we need to look next to get this working for you.

All the best,

Paul.

Paul,

(1). Is there an instance with a name like "Preparation - XXX" created (where XXX is the name of the catalog)?

• Yes, the Preparation -xxx instance does get created. - but it then gets shutdown and terminated.
  • I turned on Cloud Trail to watch the API calls here and I can see it hit EC2 and S3 to create it, then it runs the instance, and then deletes the bucket, volume and terminates. At  this point I get the error in Citrix studio and no more logging accurs.

• No, I don't ever see this instance. 

(3). If so, does the "XenDesktop Temp" instance run for a few minutes before shutting down? Or does it run for a very long time (like 30 minutes or more)?

• N/A

• No, I never see this instance.

My supported platforms only show VPC.

The whole process from trying to create the catalog to failure is relatively fast. i.e. a minute or two.

No problem, ask away, the more you ask the more I can learn.

Kreston

Hey Paul, 

Yes, we never changed the default VPC, but we DID delete the default subnet and start new with our design.  We asked AWS to assign a new default subnet and batta bing, batta boom, I'm now seeing the following:

preparationxxx starts and then goes to stopped,

the the xendesktop instance does the same

the volumeworker fires up.

The preparation Instance starts back up to an initializing state for awhile, then back to stopped and terminated

the Xendesktop Temp is terminated

The MCS instanceis built and the catalog gets created!  

The volume worker is terminated

*Can't thank you enough! Been banging my head on the wall for a week on this one.  Even had a ticket open, but my tech hasn't gotten anywhere. 

Where do i find these little idiosyncrasies?  Would be great if there was some Citrix, AWS specific, docs out there.  Wonder what else i'm getting wrong ;)

Thanks again!

Hi, Kreston.

I'm glad to hear that it's now working for you.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any documentation around that detail in particular. You're not the first of our customers to encounter it, though, so it would make sense for us to get something out. We needed to publish the doc on permissions, because that was confusing a lot of people - in particular, the need for S3 as well as EC2 permissions was a surprise to many.

The good news is that those little volume worker instances are probably the most sensitive part of the system in terms of correct configuration. Once you have catalogs getting created, then the volume workers are happy and you are far less likely to encounter other problems.

You are, of course, free to prove me wrong on that statement! But I'm here to help, if anything else arises.

All the best for now,

Paul.

Hi Paul, 

we are facing similar issue while updating the AWS machines (Attaching the screenshot of all errors). Please share your thoughts.
ON studio, I am seeing update progress is completing with out any issue but AWS servers are not coming up after reboot. Instances are terminating and creating new one with the same host name/ip.

1). Is there an instance with a name like "Preparation - XXX" created (where XXX is the name of the catalog)?
no, but its keep creating and terminating few instances with the same name.
No, I don't ever see this instance. 
N/A
Yes,I can see this instance.

Capture_Citrix.PNG

Capture_Citrix_aws.PNG

Below Error I got on our studio when i am trying to update another catalog.

2017-02-12.png

We have the similar issue

1). Is there an instance with a name like "Preparation - XXX" created (where XXX is the name of the catalog)? it is getting created

(2). Is there an instance called "XenDesktop Temp" created? yes, this is created

(3). If so, does the "XenDesktop Temp" instance run for a few minutes before shutting down? Or does it run for a very long time (like 30 minutes or more)? yes this instance run for more than 30 minutse

(4). Are any instances with names like "Citrix.XD.VolumeWorker" created? no this instance is not created

I have already verified that default vpc and subnet is there..

Sorry to bump this thread but we're facing the same issue.

I built a new site using the same IAM user and that works fine however, the existing site is still having issues. We've even tried re-assigning a new IAM user, re-creating a new Catalog etc.

Support seems to be stumped with this as well. 

No changes to our VPC/Subnets or permissions. We've got 2 other sites using the same credentials and resources and they're fine too.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:56 AM, Michael Swan said:

Sorry to bump this thread but we're facing the same issue.

I built a new site using the same IAM user and that works fine however, the existing site is still having issues. We've even tried re-assigning a new IAM user, re-creating a new Catalog etc.

Support seems to be stumped with this as well. 

No changes to our VPC/Subnets or permissions. We've got 2 other sites using the same credentials and resources and they're fine too.

Hi 

Did you get an answer for this. we are also getting the same issue but the weird thing is we have West2a and West2b catalog (different Availablity zones) on the same hosting connection. west2b is imaging fine but West2a is coming up wit this error. it only started a day ago. Creating a new machine catalog in west2a has the same issue. 

i have made sure nothing has changed and both have the same security groups 

Thanks 

I'm having the exact same issue after updating from 1912 CU5 to CU6. The first couple of MCS updates worked, but when I did the 3rd it gives the same error now and none of them work anymore.

I can see it create the Preparation - XXX instance, then it immediately terminates it and it fails. Has anyone been able to find the root cause yet? Nothing has changed apart from updating from CU5 to CU6, and everything else works still.

I figured out what the problem is, the error message and Citrix Support weren't very helpful.

You get this error when the Subnet you are using in AWS runs out of available IP's. Go to EC2 in AWS, then Network Interfaces and search for your Citrix subnet to list all the IPs. You will have tons of IP's assigned to XD NICs that no longer exist, but marked as Available and not assigned to an instance. Delete all of these, and then your MCS Machine Catalog update will work.

Citrix MCS does not delete these old XD NICs for some reason, they have to be deleted manually or you'll eventually run out.