Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Server 2016 Colors / Themes

Dennis Parker

Question

Hi there, 

We recently migrated an application from server 2008R2 to Server 2016 and the users are having issues with the colors being different and harder for them to see.

I have attempted to find a way to get the colors to match more closely with out any luck. Does anybody have an idea how to get the colors to match up?

post-12637205-0-57861000-1485374637_thumb.png

Show basically what it looks like on 2008R2

post-12637205-0-25158100-1485374672_thumb.png

Show the 2016 version.

The 2008R2 used the Classic Theme, which is not available in 2016 according to everything I have read. 

I know how to get the title bar to change color, but I can't get it to a color even close to the 2008R2 color with the very limited choices. 

Thanks for any ideas,

Dennis

12 answers to this question

You won't get it perfect, but you can get close.  I ran into this problem when I migrated from 2003 to 2008, and 2008 to 2012.  I expect I'll run into it again when I go from 2012 to 2016...

What I did was to export HKCU\ControlPanel\Colors on the 2008 box.  I then created a GPO that applied this to users on logon.  This configures it for everyone with an existing profile (takes an extra login to make it work since that key is only read on logon).  You could also set it in the default user profile so it was set correctly for everyone on first logon...

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Charley Walling said:

where/how do you put themes in your default profile?

That really depends on what you use to handle the profiles...

However you're controlling where the default profile comes from, you'd just crack open the ntuser.dat file and add the registry settings.  Then when new users pick up a profile, it will initialize session with those configurations.  That will take care of new profiles -- for existing profiles,  you'll still need to use something like WEM or GPO to get those settings into HKCU.  

This information isn't specific to themes... 

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, Joe Robinson said:

You won't get it perfect, but you can get close.  I ran into this problem when I migrated from 2003 to 2008, and 2008 to 2012.  I expect I'll run into it again when I go from 2012 to 2016...

What I did was to export HKCU\ControlPanel\Colors on the 2008 box.  I then created a GPO that applied this to users on logon.  This configures it for everyone with an existing profile (takes an extra login to make it work since that key is only read on logon).  You could also set it in the default user profile so it was set correctly for everyone on first logon...

This worked on my 2016 server and matched it perfectly to the 2008R2 color. Thank you, I tried GPOs, WEM, Scripting and nothing but yours worked!!

On 1/25/2017 at 8:51 PM, Joe Robinson said:

Hi, I need something like this for 2 specific applications that I've moved to 7.15 on server 2016, the applications are hosted on 4 Citrix app servers, profiles are cleaned at logoff, can I simply add a rule to import this at logon or am I going to come across the problem where registry needs to be loaded, this imported and then users needing to log back in a second time for it to take effect?.

18 minutes ago, Mike Winspear said:

Hi, I need something like this for 2 specific applications that I've moved to 7.15 on server 2016, the applications are hosted on 4 Citrix app servers, profiles are cleaned at logoff, can I simply add a rule to import this at logon or am I going to come across the problem where registry needs to be loaded, this imported and then users needing to log back in a second time for it to take effect?.

The color settings take effect on the second logon, so you won't be able to add anything to change it on logon.

Try putting the settings in your default profile so the registry settings are already in place when the user logs on.

On 12/20/2019 at 8:36 AM, Joe Robinson said:

The color settings take effect on the second logon, so you won't be able to add anything to change it on logon.

Try putting the settings in your default profile so the registry settings are already in place when the user logs on.

where/how do you put themes in your default profile?

I am having some difficulty with this one.  I have the exported .reg file from a 2008 box and when I run it manually and import the file.  Log off and log back on it works great.  However, when I run it with a logon script GPO under the user configuration it doesn't appear to work?

This is how I am importing the registry file with the logon script.

Name, Parameters

Regedit.exe /s "\\Domain.com\NETLOGON\Colors\Colors2008.reg"

I can see the values in the registry are there, but I cannot see the changes in the app or within Windows?

Windows Server 2016 Build 1607

Citrix 7.15

User Profile Management is configured.

image.png.d1ec79cd4bbbd4bcd9cf3c2226793cd5.png