Welcome to our new Citrix community!

After upgrade 7.11 can not modify hosting connecting create prior to upgrade.

Eric Hosmer

Question

I just discovered this today.

-  3 weeks ago we upgraded from 7.9 to 7.11

- We had 2 hosting connection prior to the upgrade.    1 Pool running XS 6.5sp1 and a single host XS 6.5sp1(nod04)

Prior to the upgrade were were able to add connections and resources to the hatched hosting servers in studio. 

We get the below error with either of the connection created prior to the 7.11 upgrade.

I discovered this when testing a new NFS SR I attached to single host already in studio.    When I went to add Connection and Resources,  using a existing connection it would error when I hit next on the "Storage Managment".

But if I created a brand new hosting connection(after upgrade to 7.11) using the the same URL use by the "using a existing connection ".    It worked. 

I can even  add more resources to this host with no issues.

So it looks like if you go form 7.9 to 7.11 you can not modify your previous hosting connection.      I could not find this in any of the 7.11 know issues.

Has anyone else seen this.    Its not often that you change a hosting connection. 

Error Id: XDDS:DFC97284

Exception:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException Invalid connection address. Check that the address is valid and that it references a host in the XenServer pool.
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.CreateException[T](ICommonLog logger, ExecutionResults`1 results, ICmdletExecutionHost host)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.Execute[T](ISdkCmdlet`1 sdkCmd, ICmdletExecutionHost host, Boolean allowFailover)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.HypervisorService.Scripts.UpdateHypervisorConnectionScript.RunScript()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.PowerShellScript`1.Run()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.HypervisorService.PSHypervisorService.GetStorage(IHypervisorTreeParent hypervisorObject, ScriptExecutionContext context)
       at Citrix.Console.Hypervisors.UI.Pages.StorageSelectionPageViewModel.Populate(ScriptExecutionContext scriptContext, IHypervisorTreeParent treeItem)
       at Citrix.Console.Hypervisors.UI.Pages.StorageSelectionPageViewModel.PopulatePage()
       at Citrix.Console.Hypervisors.UI.Pages.StorageSelectionPageViewModel.PrepareToBeShown()
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.Wizard.PageContainerViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass3.<ValidateAndMoveToPage>b__2()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : ConnectionAddressInvalid
    Sdk Error Message : The supplied connection address is invalid. Check that it exists and is part of the same pool as the connection.
    Sdk Error ID : Citrix.XDPowerShell.HostStatus.ConnectionAddressInvalid,Citrix.Host.Sdk.Commands.UpdateHypHypervisorConnectionCommand
    ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : UpdateHypervisorConnectionScript
    1/19/2017 11:20:02 AM

Update-HypHypervisorConnection  -AdminAddress "ku-xd-ddc1.ku.kettering.edu:80" -LiteralPath "XDHyp:\Connections\NOD04-Grid"
    Update-HypHypervisorConnection : The supplied connection address is invalid. Check that it exists and is part of the same pool as the connection.
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [update-HypHypervisorConnection], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.HostStatus.ConnectionAddressInvalid,Citrix.Host.Sdk.Commands.UpdateHypHypervisorConnectionCommand

2 answers to this question

I have just had the same issue as ehosmer. I put it down to new certificate problems. However I found this post yesterday which led me to resolve my issue. As I was having trouble proving it was the new certificate which was causing the issue. (It's actually another problem :)) )

My Hypervisors are XenServer so I don't know if this would also resolve VMware or other hypervior types.

Firstly thank you @ aschulz2801.  Using the powershell commands you listed showed me that my hypervisor connections were not correct and that I had multiple old hypervisors associated with each connection in my environment. They were causing the problem due to some of the hosts not actually being in the same XenServer resource pool anymore. 

It appears that even if the current resource pool master or hosts still in the pool were associated with the connection it didn't matter as there were hosts which were no longer in the pool still connected and adding/editing a current connection would error out.

The reason this all came about was increasing host resource to other pools in the XenServer farm. So I was moving hosts between pools and changing pool masters. I wish this changed automatically as it's been a pain to try and troubleshoot.

Below is the powershell command I used to remove the old host connections.

The powershell command:

cd XDHyp:\Connections

dir

Shows a max of four connections. When you delete hosts from the connections it shows other hidden hosts so you may also have to remove these if they are no longer associated with resource pool. Eventually you'll be left with the correct hosts which are still in the resource pool.

https://developer-docs.citrix.com/projects/delivery-controller-sdk/en/latest/HostService/Add-HypHypervisorConnectionAddress/

Remove-HypHypervisorConnectionAddress -LiteralPath XDHyp:\Connections\your connection name -HypervisorAddress https://your hypervisor url