Welcome to our new Citrix community!

UEFI installation still has problems

Norman Diamond

Question

A Dell Optiplex 3020 can be set to either UEFI or legacy boot.  It previously had a 3TB hard drive and UEFI was working perfectly with Windows 10.  I changed it to a 1TB hard drive but kept the UEFI (non-BIOS) settings the same.

The XenServer 7.0 CD booted in UEFI mode.  It formatted the 1TB hard drive with GPT including an EFI system partition and other partitions as expected.  It installed XenServer on the machine.  Then it let me try to reboot.

Dell's UEFI (non-BIOS) did not recognize the hard drive as a bootable device.

I changed Dell's settings to legacy boot (BIOS emulation).  It recognized the hard drive as a potentially bootable device, but booting failed as expected.

I reinstalled.  The XenServer 7.0 CD booted in BIOS mode.  It formatted the 1TB hard drive with GPT where I expected MBR, but a few sites on the internet explained why this works with grub.  It installed XenServer.  It let me reboot, and it's working fine in BIOS mode.

I have previously booted the same Dell Optiplex 3020 in UEFI mode from a self-made USB stick containing an EFI system partition and a simpler live Linux system.

I wonder if Dell's fimrware looks specifically for a directory named \EFI\BOOT instead of \EFI\anything.

2 answers to this question

Archived