Welcome to our new Citrix community!

outlook .ost problems

Chris Schrameyer

Question

we have outlook 2016 and 2013 published on 2008r2 and 2012r2 desktops.

the .OST files are redirected to the user's home folder, and .OST files are excluded from Citrix UPM

occasionally a user will launch outlook and get an error similar to the attached.

the fix is to have the user log out of outlook, delete their .OST from their home folder, and then when the user launches Outlook again it recreates the .OST file.

Trying to figure out if the problem lies with the Outlook profile, Citrix UPM, or perhaps network communication issues between the app server and the server hosting the home folders.

Has anyone else experienced this?

post-12567053-0-36351800-1478738482_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

I'm having a similar problem, again. My .OST issue is Outlook randomly crashes or stops responding. When the user goes to open Outlook again, their .ost.tmp file is locked. We have to delete the file lock on the ost.tmp, delete the ost.tmp, and then users can re-open Outlook. Most of the time the user doesn't call back. There are cases that the same user is affected over and over and over again through the day.

Our OST files are redirected to a DFS share. Office 2013 32-bit MSI with Office 365. The issue started happening around October 19, a few days after applying a summer's worth of Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 and Office 2013 hotfixes. 

I then tried the latest Nov Office updates with no difference in behavior. I attempted to uninstall the Nov and Oct Outlook updates, but resulted in an inaccessible boot device on my PVS image after a reboot. Right now the help desk is just dealing with it.

18 hours ago, Matt Sliva said:

We finally determined it was the ControlUp agent that was causing the locked ost.tmp problem. We're not a ControlUp customer, so removing the ControlUp agent from our PVS image solved the problem. ControlUp should have a fix for this if you are a customer.

Hi Matt

How did you find this? What version were you on?

We're having the exact same issue and we have ControlUP. In the process of removing the agent now to see if this makes any difference.

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Matt Sliva said:

We finally determined it was the ControlUp agent that was causing the locked ost.tmp problem. We're not a ControlUp customer, so removing the ControlUp agent from our PVS image solved the problem. ControlUp should have a fix for this if you are a customer.

Hi Matt,

I would love to review this issue with you and verify if indeed ControlUp Agent is the root cause for the ost.tmp issue

If so, we will provide a full and quick fix

Sending you a direct e-mail now

Bumping an ancient thread, but has anyone else [who doesn't use ControlUp] had this issue? I'm seeing it in my Windows 10/XD 7.15 LTSR environment with redirected OSTs (365 users). It looks like Skype for Business isn't releasing the lock when you logoff, but I'm not entirely certain.

Edit: Definitely Skype. The .tmp file doesn't always get locked, but when it does the only way I've been able to remove it is by adding a File System Operation in WEM to delete "\\Server\Share\##username##\Outlook\*.tmp". Not ideal, but it appears to be working.

Good afternoon,

I know this topic is old, but I'm facing the same problem.

Does anyone know what a solution was adopted?

One point I noticed is that this always occurs when the user switches VM, I believe that when trying to update the VM reference (SID) in the OST, it fails and can not open its database because the OST is referencing the VM that he had previously used.