Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to enable persistent printers with citrix profile management?

Micha Krause

Question

Hi,

we have a XenDesktop/App/PVS 7.6 LTSR enviroment and are using a third party software for users to connect new printers in their session.

The user opens the software -> checks the printer he wants and this printer will be installed on the XenDesktop Terminalserver.

Now: When the user logs off his session and reopens a new all the added printers are gone. 

What do I have to do in order for the to persist? We are using citrix profile management.

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

@René

The GPO for upm  is pretty much default... I erased pretty much all exclusions just to be sure.

Active write back Enabled

Profile management Enabled  

Path to user store Enable 

Delete locally cached profiles on logoff Enabled

Policy Setting Comment Profile streaming Enabled

Am I missing something? (I left out the imo irrelevant policys for this problem)

@Julian & Miroslav

It's not about the default printer setting. The profile does not save ANY printers period :o I also tried the DisableNetworkPrinterDisconnect setting befor I posted here so that does nothing aswell. 

@Julian

The HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

only shows: Microsoft XPS Document Writer - none of my manually installed printers.

I add the printers when I am in the session - they are not connected in any way befor the user logs on. It's a thrid party software that just adds a network printer to my printers.

Also: when I log back on the server all Reg-Keys that are set under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers are still the same as befor. 

Is this a bug? What am I missing? :(

//edit

It seems our software adds the printers not like a printserver would - but adds them as network printers on the server with the ip address. Does that make a difference? Is it even possible to get network printers cross server persistent with pvs?

have you tried to connect to a printer with the native onboard mechanisms of windows and checked if they persist this way? if yes, then you have to figure out where your 3rd party tool saves the printer settings. maybe somewhere in local appdata of the user profile which might be excluded from sync to your profile store.

@Micha: Did you get any solution.

I too am not being able to get the network printers retained after reboot. Have opened up a case with Citrix but does yet get any resolution. ( Both TCP/IP printers and SMB printers added via UNC path disappears after reboot in the UPM. They persist in local profile. No third part tool involved in saving printer settings.)

On ‎12‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 10:26 PM, Bilal Aslam said:

@Micha: Did you get any solution.

I too am not being able to get the network printers retained after reboot. Have opened up a case with Citrix but does yet get any resolution. ( Both TCP/IP printers and SMB printers added via UNC path disappears after reboot in the UPM. They persist in local profile. No third part tool involved in saving printer settings.)

Is Your Citrix case solved? I also have the same problem on a 7.16 installation running on Windows Server 2016 

Archived