Welcome to our new Citrix community!

User Profile Manager Causes Slow Logon

Ravi Gunti

Question

We had an issue with the UPM which is causing slow logins for the users. In general, it is taking nearly 45 minutes to login to the published desktop wherein user's profile size is around 150 MB.

We found that iin user's profile Google Chrome is occupying 60 MB and Microsoft\Office\Templates is occupying 50 MB.

Environment Details : XenApp 6.5 on 2008 R2, UPM 5.2.0.5020 and 5.1.1.2. 

We have analyzed the gpsvc logs and found no issue related to Group policies, Printers and logon scripts. When we disable the UPM service logon time is less than 1 minute which manifests UPM as the cause of the issue. In UPM logs we could see below

10:04:16.738; ProcessLogon: Starting to restore directories and files.

10:25:45.380; ProcessLogon: Restore finished

It has took 21 minutes to restore directories and files but we couldn't find any errors/activity between 10:04:16.738 to 10:25:45.380

Can you please help me on this to find out the root cause.

Thanks in advance

7 answers to this question

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:59 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Is Profile Streaming enabled?

Hi Carl,

I would like to ask you about Profile Streaming.

By default, UPM settings are set to delete the profile on XenApp after logging out.

So if I set the profile streaming, will it have any effect?

In this case, must disable policy about the local profile be deleted after logoff or not?

I don't sure concept about Profile Streaming. Could you please advise me?

Regards,

Poomz

When you log into a machine your profile needs to be downloaded from the file share. Without streaming, the entire profile is downloaded and the user must wait for the download to complete. With streaming, only ntuser.dat is downloaded, and the other files in the profile are downloaded only when needed, thus speeding up logons.