Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenDesktop 7.8 - VDA not registered - so what can be the issue?

Kai Pauli1709152916

Question

Hey Gents,s

at first, iam using a fresh install of XD 7.8 with Windows Security Updates on the OS without any other HFs.

Farm Deployment (create DB, create Site, create Catalog and so on was successfully without errors.

i wanna use PVS Mechanism within XD 7.8.

on the VDA Maschine, ive installed in the following at first all MS Security Updates, second the PVS Target Driver, third, the VDA Tools after Imaging the VM successfully

BUT

it was never possible to register the VDA into XD 7.8

iam get the Event ID 1002, 1017, 1022

---

Testing Scenario

- Firewalls disabled on XD Controller AND VDA

- VDA Communication Ports open on both sides, VDA and XD Controller

- Citrix Health Checker show everything is fine (green marked)

BUT -> XDPing pops up with an error: It is not possible to enumerate DDC List from VDA

Troubleshooting Scenario:

Add Entrys in VDA Registry "ListofDDCs" manually

- no Effect

Add Entrys in VDA Registry "ListofSIDs" manually

- no Effect

Change VDA Communicatiion Port on both sides to 5000

- no Effect

use specially the SID of the DDC in the Citrix Policys

- no Effect

use the CNAME and disable Automatic DDC Update in the Citrix Policy

- no Effect

Error still exist. 

---

after that investigation, tryed the same Configuration on a XD 7.6 Environment with 7.6 VDA - same Error.

---

after that i looked little bit more deep into the EventLogs and found an Event with:

unknown User or Password from Type: 'System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException'

---

What we have to know is, in that affected Environment there was an Active Directory Server Migration from from 2008R2 to 2012R2

I think there is the Issue regarding SIDs or something else like that?!

Does anyone ever had this effect?

14 answers to this question

after using CleanUp Utility (CTX209255) ive enabled VDA logging again. Same Issue still exist. No registering possible

---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

ive revert the same VM to a earlier snapshot, patched the VM with Update-Follups as well the normal security Patches

after reimaging via PVS Tools successfully, ive installed the VDA 7.8 Tools, changed the VDA Port to 5000 on the Broker and Client.

and the VM could Register with Success on the Broker.

it looks like there was a missing MS Update Package.

• Like 1

Go into Add/Remove Programs and Change the VDA, then go to 'Customize Settings'.

When you specify the controllers are you clicking on 'Test' and receiving a happy green checkmark? I've had mixed luck with XDPing since I think it's looking in HKLM\Software\Citrix and not Wow6432Node for some of its checks.

I also typically install the VDA after capturing the desktop image within PVS. Can you confirm the process you went through? And unless you have a need, I'd probably change the VDA Registration port back to 80. When you modified your Controller did you change the port by "BrokerService.exe /VDAPort 5000" ? Or some other method?

Hi Chris, 

thanks for Reply.

Ive test this

-> Go into Add/Remove Programs and Change the VDA, then go to 'Customize Settings'.

both XD Controllers was marked as green (sure the Port Communication) is fine, ill test that before and after every customization of the VDA

---

When ive changed the Port ive use exactly this syntax via CLI "BrokerService.exe /VDAPort 5000"

ive changed also back to Port 80 on the VDA and XD

no Effect, ...

makes me crazy after three days of Troubleshooting this O_O

So VDA registration is a fairly simple process. 

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX136668

- DNS Resolution of Controller

- Registration Port allowed through firewall(s)

- VDA installed

- Time sync

- etc

What do the logs (should be in Application) of the virtual desktop report for the registration process?

They should come up and say something to the effect of "Successfully enumerated list of Delivery Controllers" with the hostname.

Then should report that it attempted to register. Hopefully successfully.

And for clarification purposes, you did run through the rearm process for Windows/Office after you captured the image within PVS and then configured the vDisk appropriately? I just saw your note on the other error which might be related to that? We'd expect different DCMID and CMID for Office/Windows between reboots and systems.

And have you tried just an uninstall/install to see if something kooky got baked into the image?

- DNS Resolution of Controller

- Registration Port allowed through firewall(s)

- VDA installed

- Time sync

- etc

everything regarding that is fine, ive tested it and the Environment have a NTP Server

---

thanks for the CTX, ive used it and enabled logging on both maschines, VDA and XD Controller (CTX117452)

For what Issues speceally should i look? 

one error from the VDA LOG

---

11/05/16 21:16:52.233 420 1832: BrokerAgent:EventLogManager decided to log event WorkerAgentBadRegister of type Warning with arguments: 'http://XXXX.XXX.XX:80/Citrix/CdsController/IRegistrar' '192.168.0.18' 'Error occurred when attempting to connect to endpoint at address http://XA78B.itc.local:80/Citrix/CdsController/IRegistrar, binding WsHttpBindingIRegistrarEndpoint and contract Citrix.Cds.Protocol.Controller.IRegistrar: System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at http://192.168.0.18/Citrix/CdsController/IRegistrar that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.