Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to Move Existing Citrix PVS 6.x / 7.x Database to New SQL Server

Balaji Muthukrishnan

Question

Sharing steps to move existing PVS database from one server to new database server.

we are in the process of migrating to XenDesktop 7.8 and got stuck in the database requirement, as the XD 7.7/7.8 need a minimum of SQL server 2008 R2 and above.

I saw CTX 128365 has detailed steps to move the XD 5.x database to new database server, but I couldn't find any relevant CTX article similar for PVS. thought of sharing this...

apologies if there is any such document available earlier and for repeating it.

Steps

Complete the following procedure to move an existing PVS database from one SQL server to another Server

1. Login to 1st PVS server and launch Provisioning services Configuration wizard and click Next

2. Select DHCP – The service that runs on another computer and click Next

3. Select PXE Service – The service that runs on another computer and click Next

4. Select Farm Configuration – Create Farm

Since you are moving an existing PVS database to a new server, first select “create farm” in the PVS configuration wizard and enter the same name as the PVS Database name. At this point in time it will be a fresh database created by PVS console.

5. Select Database Server – type SAC07\SQL01

6. Select New Farm – Database Name – Enter same database name as the existing PVS DB name (PVSDB)

7. Select New Store – Enter Store name and default path (E:\Datastore)

8. Enter License server name and port number

9. Select User account – Select Network Service or any service account

10. Select Active Directory computer account password

11. Select Network Communications – select Streaming NIC

12. Select TFTP option and bootstrap Location

13. Select Stream Server Boot List – Make sure 2 PVS servers are added

14. Review the configuration and Click Finish.

1. Login to 2nd PVS server and launch Provisioning services Configuration wizard and click Next

2. Select DHCP – The service that runs on another computer and click Next

3. Select PXE Service – The service that runs on another computer and click Next

4. Select Farm Configuration – Join Existing Farm

5. Select Database Server – type SAC07\SQL01

6. Select Existing Farm, Existing Site & Existing Store

7. Enter License server name and port number

8. Select User account – Select Network Service or any service account

9. Select Active Directory computer account password

10. Select Network Communications – select Streaming and management NIC

11. Select TFTP option and bootstrap Location

12. Select Stream Server Boot List – Make sure 2 PVS servers are added

13. Review the configuration and Click Finish.

Note: Now Both the PVS servers are configured to point the new database server in HA mode. If you launch console in any of the PVS server you won’t get the existing database configuration with store and device collection list. Reason being this is a new database created by PVS console. Only similarity is, database having the same name as the existing database.

Now to bring back the configuration to new database server***

1. Login to old database server (SAC01) and take backup of PVS database (Database name –PVSDB)

2. Copy the database backup file to new database server (SAC07)

3. Login to new database server (SAC07) and launch SSMS

4. Delete the PVS database which was created by PVS configuration wizard (Database Name: PVSDB)

5. Right Click Databases – Select Restore Database – Type the Database (Database Name: PVSDB) name and select database backup file “from device”

6. Now reboot both the PVS server one-by-one

7. Login to PVS server and launch PVS console. Ensure all configurations are restored in new database server along with store and device collection objects. Make sure from Farm properties PVS database is pointing to new database instance name.

Note: PVS configuration wizard will take care of adding PVS computer account in the new database server and related database roles unlike XenDesktop

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

thanks for sharing, initially when I did the same steps somehow I found the PVS config was not intact, few device collection objects were missing. that's why I followed the above steps.

when I create a test object in device collection the same is not reflected in other PVS sever console. sometimes when I click on a store I don't see the vdisk visible in the console. probably that the reason I followed the above steps for moving PVS DB.

• Like 1

I would like understand how this scenario will be workout where there is a possible requirement to move only PVS DB which is hosted on same SQL cluster which is hosting Site/Configuration Logging/Monitoring DB's which got setup while setting up initial configurations.

Here in case of PVS 7.x (specifically PVS 7.15 CU4), if existing PVS DB moved to new SQL server/host then how site Site/Configuration Logging/Monitoring DB's will work for PVS where these DB's will sit over old SQL DB server/cluster?

Is there any dependency of PVS DB movement over Site/Configuration Logging/Monitoring DB's? Could you or anyone can shade how this mentioned requirement can be taken further??

Thanks in advance!!

Is my understanding correct once devices created and added to Machine catalog and delivery group then it will be registered under Site/Configuration Logging/Monitoring DB's?

As while initial PVS installation and configuration I don't remember there would have been any inputs given pointing to delivery controllers or any Site/Configuration Logging/Monitoring DB's.

Any help on clarifying this would be really great.

Thanks!!