Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Best way to upgrade vmware-tools with pvs 7.7 and vhdx-files

Richi Brandenberger

Question

18 answers to this question

Richi,

why don't you boot the PVS vDisk in private mode to do the upgrade, or use a PVS vDisk Version?

Mydd!

This will break the network connection if it updates network causing an issue(previous versions) Is this now the method when on version 7.7 and above?

Rick

If using versioning:

1. Merge to base+all updates.
  2. Create a Windows 2008 R2 VM with a 2nd partition that's twice the size of the C: partition in the .VHD file
  3. Copy the VHD to the partition 
  4. Use bcdedit to configure this vm to boot from the VHD 
  5. Update VMWare tools
  6. When complete, copy the .VHD file back to the PVS server
  7. Import it
  8. Reset KMS activation

The new in place upgrade introduced in PVS 7.7 (you can upgrade from 7.6.1 to a newer version using in place upgrade as long as you upgraded to 7.6.1 using the reverse imaging method, in fact you must first perform a reverse image or install the target software to enable the in place upgrade from that version forward) and above only applies to PVS target software.  Any other software that may take down the network will not work, this includes possible AV upgrades or hypervisor tools/drivers.  The best method to upgrade software on the target that may take down the network is to use the direct VHD/VHDX boot using hyperV or Xenserver  (VHD only) if you do not want to perform a reverse imaging or do not have the original master VM available to upgrade to and image.

Carl

If using versioning:

1. Merge to base+all updates.
  2. Create a Windows 2008 R2 VM with a 2nd partition that's twice the size of the C: partition in the .VHD file
  3. Copy the VHD to the partition 
  4. Use bcdedit to configure this vm to boot from the VHD 
  5. Update VMWare tools
  6. When complete, copy the .VHD file back to the PVS server
  7. Import it
  8. Reset KMS activation

Thank you.  Although i have tried this following Carl Stalhood's article on PVS reverse image and i get hung up everytime when trying to boot the VHD.  Everything from Bootmgr is missing to the os just BSOD.  Do you have any suggestions for fixing this?

Thanks

Rick

Thank you.  Although i have tried this following Carl Stalhood's article on PVS reverse image and i get hung up everytime when trying to boot the VHD.  Everything from Bootmgr is missing to the os just BSOD.  Do you have any suggestions for fixing this?

Thanks

Rick

Worked for me, but as far as I can remember when I've tried this, it changed my Dynamic disk to a Thick one (the .vhdx file changed from about +- 30GB in size to 75GB) so this wasn't an option for me.

I've reversed the image with the P2PVS.exe tool (within the Provisioning Folder on your target device) and do a volume to volume imaging (just add another disk to your VDA this is >= as the dynamic size of your vDisk.

After reversing, make the new volume the active one (before rebooting), and set your new disk back to "first boot" in Bios.

After updating VMware tools, reimport your VM to PVS. Had no issues with this method on PVS 7.7/7.8

I do however experience a problem with PVS 7.7 and 7.8 that when importing a VM to PVS the dynamic sizer doesn't work anymore.

In previous builds I could change the dynamic size to (for example) 200GB but with 7.7 and 7.8 this size stays the same as the disk size of the VM itself (so when creating the Master VM I need to size the disk big enough for all feature software/updates)

( The BSOD you experience is because you didn't import the bootmgr file and boot folder into your image: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409 )

Christophe

Wow... Thats complicated. I just upgrade VMToos on my  PVS Golden image as follows,

1) Start server and upgrade the VMTools

2) Shutdown Server and Boot it with all Ethernet Interfaces deactivated through VSphere Manager. Then Shutdown Server again.

3) Activate All Ethernet Interfaces again and boot the Server normal.

Now the Toos are upgraded and the Server Starts again normally without crashing.

Thanks

Roman

On 1/2/2019 at 8:42 PM, Roman Banz1709156560 said:

Wow... Thats complicated. I just upgrade VMToos on my  PVS Golden image as follows,

1) Start server and upgrade the VMTools

2) Shutdown Server and Boot it with all Ethernet Interfaces deactivated through VSphere Manager. Then Shutdown Server again.

3) Activate All Ethernet Interfaces again and boot the Server normal.

Now the Toos are upgraded and the Server Starts again normally without crashing.

Thanks

Roman

This does not work, when the PVS Image is streamed => you will break the connection to the streamed disk resulting in BSOD on boot. It's the same you pull away the chair you are standing on beneath your feet.