Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Copy/Paste files from client to VDA and visa versa

Jacob Dixon1709152413

Question

How can you enable it so users can copy and paste files from their client to the VDA and the other way? Its a big training issue trying to get customers to go through "Local Disk (C: on <ComputerName>)\Users\<username>\Documents" and so on.

Is there a setting so if a user wants to copy a zip file (not a huge one) they can simply copy and paste it so it would transfer?

12 answers to this question

Hi there,

Iam just struggling with the very same question: Can users copy a TXT-file (or a JPG or an Excel file) into their local clipboard and paste it in their virtual desktop session?

I have a XD 7.6 LTSR CU2 enviroment with multiple 7.6.3 DesktopOS VDAs and Iam just able to copy-paste text from client to vda (or vise-versa) through the clipboard, copying files (regardingless if TXT or JPG or whatsoever) doesnt seem to be possible, even though I got my local clientdrive mapped with full access into my desktop session.

Iam wondering if it makes any sense to open up a Citrix support ticket or if I should submit a feature request for this...

I went through the comments on http://citrixtips.com/looking-at-the-new-7-6-clipboard-policies/ but didnt find an answer to this question...Maybe someone can enlight me? :)

Got my answer from our distribution:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX086028

As of MetaFrame XP Service Pack 2 and MetaFrame 1.8 Service Pack 3 up to XenApp 7.11, ICA connections support or do not support the following functions:

·         Copy and paste of files between local workstation and sessions or between two unique sessions is not supported.

·         Drag and drop of either text or files between local workstation and sessions or between two unique sessions is not supported.

·         Copy and paste of text between local workstation and sessions or between two unique sessions is supported.

·         Copy and paste of files between two shared sessions is supported.

I am testing copy/paste of files between client and Citrix XenDesktop session which is working in both directions. But I can't find any *detailed* documentation on this feature despite all my searching.

Is that there is a via Policies to control which direction is enable/disabled, eg we'd like it to only be enabled from the client device to the Citrix XD session. Is this possible and what is the policy name/setting or the documentation on how to do this?

VDA: 2112

After scrolling through the policies I think I have found the related settings but I haven't tested it yet.

- Allow file transfer between desktop and client
- Upload file to desktop
- Download file from desktop

If someone can confirm these are the right ones and if there is any detailed documentation on these feature that would be appreciated.

17 minutes ago, sarnold480 said:

I am testing copy/paste of files between client and Citrix XenDesktop session which is working in both directions. But I can't find any *detailed* documentation on this feature despite all my searching.

Is that there is a via Policies to control which direction is enable/disabled, eg we'd like it to only be enabled from the client device to the Citrix XD session. Is this possible and what is the policy name/setting or the documentation on how to do this?

VDA: 2112

Set Client clipboard redirection to Allowed and set Restrict client clipboard write to Enabled. That's all you need to do.