Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDI reboots after login

Simon Dewhurst

Question

Hello,

I have been struggling to track down the cause of an intermittent issues for a while now, would like to hear if anyone has seen this before?

User logs into a fresh VDI and waits for the standard UPM / GPO's, they then get presented with the desktop and shortly after (less than 1 min) the session closes and the machine reboots on them.

once the desktop is back up we can view the Windows Event Logs and see the following  was initiated just before the VDI rebooted (ill substitute the machine name for MACHINENAME)

The Citrix Broker Service successfully performed power action 'Shutdown' (origin: Untaint) on virtual machine 'MACHINENAME'.

Sometimes it can happen for a user 2 or 3 times in a row (different VDI each time) but then it can go for weeks without happening again. It appears to be random when it happens and also who it happens to.

i have looked into the following http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX134190 but this does not appear to be the issue, I have a script setup on our controller that runs every 5 mins and records the "Tainted" machines, when we get a report from a user with the issue we have been checking the log but not finding the machine in question listed.

Controller: Windows 2012R2, XenDesktop 7.6.0.5026

VDI: Windows 7 x86, Virtual Desktop Agent 7.5.0.4523,

PVS: Windows 2012R2, 7.6.0.5019, Random Pool Non Persistent, PVS Streamed vDisk

Hypervisor: HyperV 2012R2

any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Did you ever determine what the cause was?

I'm seeing the same thing happen with 7.15, a minute after logging in *sometimes* the VM will shutdown and event 3013 appears on the delivery controller (The Citrix Broker Service successfully performed power action 'Shutdown' (origin: Untaint) on virtual machine xxx)

I am seeing the same issue , some Windows 10 VDI shutdown at random , the  Delivery controller has logged event id's  3013 .  I  just upgraded to 7.15 CU2 , this is a new Delivery group comprising of 140  VDI machines . Any help would be appreciated . 

The Citrix Broker Service successfully performed power action 'Shutdown' (origin: Untaint) on virtual machine 'Domain\machinename'.