Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to check what master image or snapshot bind with Machine Catalog?

Artimus Aunos

Question

Hello,

I don't know how to use tool or command to check which master image or snapshot 's Machine Catalog bind with?

IT has used with many Master Image and snapshot to update Machine Catalog. They have asked me how to check because they can not found this issue at Studio Console.

By the way, they can use other master image to update Machine Catalog or not if it's same OS version. ( Pooled Random and Personal vDisk)

Regards,

Artimus

2 answers to this question

*!* DISCLAIMER: I do not recommend this be done by anyone without EXTENSIVE knowledge of SQL Server. NEVER MAKE DIRECT DATABASE CHANGES UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND YOU HAVE TAKEN A FULL BACKUP!

With that out of the way. The below information was intended for XenDesktop 7.6.

You can locate the latest Machine Catalog's Master Image VM (snapshot) by logging into the SQL sever where your configuration database is hosted. Once there, browse the tables of the database and find the table "DesktopUpdateManagerSchema.ProvisioningScheme". Right click the table and "Select Top 1000 Rows". Here you will see all of the Machine Catalogs within your site. Find the one in question and then see the column labeled "MasterImageVM". This will denote the location of the snapshot used by MCS to update the catalog VMs. This information is not found in the CItrix Studio. 

I do not think it matters what OS or VM they choose to update the machine catalog, it will take a snapshot of the VM, copy a base disk to the storage repository then link that disk to the catalog VMs accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Shane S