Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDA becomes unregistered

Bernd Ziegler

Question

Hello,

we have our XenDesktop 7.1 enviroment in Germany, but we have remote sites in APAC with Windows 2008 R2 RDS Servers with VDA 7.1 installed.

Our problem is that the VDA become Unregistered from time to time.

The following errors are loggend in the application eventlog on the remote server:

Event 1002:

The Citrix Desktop Service cannot connect to the delivery controller 'http://Server:80/Citrix/CdsController/IRegistrar' (IP Address '10.10.5.1')

Check that the system clock is in sync between this machine and the delivery controller. If this does not resolve the problem, please refer to Citrix Knowledge Base article CTX117248 for further information.

Error Details:
Exception 'The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:01:00. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.' of type 'System.TimeoutException'..

Event 1001:

The Citrix Desktop Service failed to obtain a list of delivery controllers with which to register.

Please ensure that the Active Directory configuration for the farm is correct, that this machine is in the appropriate Active Directory domain and that one or more delivery controllers have been fully initialized.

Refer to Citrix Knowledge Base article CTX117248 for further information.

Error details:
Exception 'The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:00:01.7526035. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.' of type 'System.TimeoutException'

We check all the settings mentioned in the Citrix articles, but witout success. We also get no errors with XDPing. Maybe I have to increase the timeout settings for the WCF service, but I haven't found any information how to setup this timeouts. Is there any document from citrix side which addresses this timeout settings?

I hope for any hint about this problem !

best regards

5 answers to this question

In the meanwhile I took a Microsoft SVC trace on the VDA machine.

<E2ETraceEvent xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/E2ETraceEvent"><System xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/windows/eventlog/system"><EventID>131075</EventID><Type>3</Type><SubType Name="Error">0</SubType><Level>2</Level><TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-12-04T08:44:33.2054201Z" /><Source Name="System.ServiceModel" /><Correlation ActivityID="{59f4694f-0df0-401e-827f-85d928614374}" /><Execution ProcessName="BrokerAgent" ProcessID="8464" ThreadID="10" /><Channel /><Computer>SGPWTS10</Computer></System><ApplicationData><TraceData><DataItem><TraceRecord xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/10/E2ETraceEvent/TraceRecord" Severity="Error"><TraceIdentifier>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-SG/library/System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.ThrowingException.aspx</TraceIdentifier><Description>Throwing an exception.</Description><AppDomain>BrokerAgent.exe</AppDomain><Exception><ExceptionType>System.TimeoutException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</ExceptionType><Message>The HTTP request to 'http://IPAddress/Citrix/CdsController/IRegistrar' has exceeded the allotted timeout of 00:01:00. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.</Message><StackTrace>   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientReliableChannelBinder`1.RequestClientReliableChannelBinder`1.OnRequest(TRequestChannel channel, Message message, TimeSpan timeout, MaskingMode maskingMode)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientReliableChannelBinder`1.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout, MaskingMode maskingMode)
   at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionClientSettings`1.SecurityRequestSessionChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&amp; msgData, Int32 type)
   at Citrix.Cds.Protocol.Controller.IRegistrar.Register(RegisterRequest request)
   at Citrix.Cds.BrokerAgent.RegistrationManager.AttemptRegistrationWithSingleDdc(EndpointReference registrarEndpoint, RegisterReason reason, StackCapabilities actualStackCapabilities)
   at Citrix.Cds.BrokerAgent.RegistrationManager.AttemptRegistrationWithMulipleDdcs(IEnumerable`1 ddcEndpoints, RegisterReason reason, StackCapabilities actualStackCapabilities)
   at Citrix.Cds.BrokerAgent.RegistrationManager.AttemptRegistration(Object registrationReason)
   at Citrix.Cds.BrokerAgent.RegistrationManager.ActualReRegisterWithAnyDdc(Object reRegisterInformation)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)
</StackTrace><ExceptionString>System.TimeoutException: The HTTP request to 'http://IPAddress/Citrix/CdsController/IRegistrar' has exceeded the allotted timeout of 00:01:00. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. ---&gt; System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---</ExceptionString><InnerException><ExceptionType>System.Net.WebException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</ExceptionType><Message>The operation has timed out</Message><StackTrace>   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)</StackTrace><ExceptionString>System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)</ExceptionString></InnerException></Exception></TraceRecord></DataItem></TraceData></ApplicationData></E2ETraceEvent>

Can someone explain me why this exception happens?

best regards

By default, XML, VDA, SDK and most other non-secured web traffic traverse port 80 when talking to/from the DDCs. We were looking at moving our XML traffic to another port when we discovered this.
We were also being plagued by a lot of intermittent registration issues between the VDA and DDCs. When we moved the XML traffic to the new port, it cleaned up almost all of our registration issues. I will let you draw your own conclusions as to why this proves to be the case, but you can find more information below:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX138918

Hello,

I do not think that the port is the problem. We have installed another testserver in the remote location and we have the same problems. I cannot believe that we are the only on who have XenDesktops across WAN networks and ecounter problems with the registration.

Please gibe me a hint how to fix this issue.

best regards

Bernd

So something to keep in mind, if a VDA (server OS or VDI) looses connectivity to the Delivery Controller, the VDA will loose its registration if it has been offline for more than 10 minutes.  That being said, there is a heartbeat from the brokerservice.exe to the brokeragent.exe on the VDA, this heartbeat is what determined if the machine if out of band (offline) or online and communicating with the Delivery Controller.

make sure there is no networking issues, maybe a switch or a vlan with ACL's affecting that VDA?  Do you use any type of traffic shaping software?  if there are 100% no networking issues, I would do clear text logging on the broker service and the broker agent to see if it proves helpful.

The event ids for the most recent version for the same symptoms are 

Event IDs 1039, 1116,1194

Based on my observation, VDA mentioned in the events gets registered at somepoint, the question is it takes a extended time to register itself with a Delivery controller. If we check the Users session details mostly user will get connected to an alternate VDA in case of Pooled Catalog. 

The understanding from my observation is (Nutanix Hyp platform), this is due to the dely in power action be it Restart, Power and this causes delay in Registration and causing the Event Id 1039. This is happening in a larger environment in my case i have a group with 6000+ VDAs.