Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NetScaler VPX 10 Access Gateway Enterprise Licensing

Hi all,

I am trying to clarify Citrix licensing for AG VPX 10

In true Citrix style I am not sure of the correct name any more but whatever is the access gateway VPX product which is now running the NetScaler 10.x VPX code...

So in previous editions of Access Gatewat you could use 1 license for HA between 2 appliances because Access Gateway licenses would use the HA hostname. This was included in the Citrix License Agreement.

Now it is virtualised and running NetScaler code, does it now require 2 separate licenses because NetScaler licenses are generated based on the MAC address and not the hostname?

Thanks

• Like 1

1) "Feature Licence": you still need a per-appliance licence (against the MAC address) for each box - this has always been the case, whether it's MPX or VPX.

2) Concurrent user licenses: (a) if using "basic" mode vservers, then the included "Access Gateway Platform Licence" will give you 300 / 500 / 5000 / 10000 concurrent user connections (depending on platform) (note); (b) if using "Smart Access" servers, you need "Universal Licences". Both of these are allocated against the Hostname, and may be shared across the 2 boxes of an HA pair.

(note: you only get the included "Access Gateway Platform License" if you BUY the product: they are NOT included with any of the freebie versions, such as the Developer's license or the Express License)

• Like 1

If you are only using the Access Gateway feature and not using any NetScaler features, you still need to purchase 2 appliance licences (ie 2 x Access Gateway Enterprise VPX Platform License) but they are licensed by the hostname still and it will be the same hostname across the two appliances.

If you wish to add NetScaler features, ie load balancing etc, you will need NetScaler VPX licenses for each appliance and these are licensed against the MAC address. NetScaler VPX comes in throughput versions of 10, 200 and 1000 Mb/s versions.

If you have no NetScaler license on your VPX appliances and just the Access Gateway platform license, your throughput will be 50 Mb/s and this explains why the Access Gateway shows up as a Model VPX 50 in the web GUI.

cheers
Dan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How new is this product ? i am going in circles trying to figure out the actual name which i found recently "*Netscaler Gateway*" and if there's a way to find out the licensing modules and difference's "basic" vs "Enterprise" etc ....

I was recently quoted for a "*Easy Netscaler Gateway VPX ENT*" and trying to figure out the details on what comes with it.

This thread provided better information than eDocs !

I have the same question regarding concurrent user(s) on an Enterprise license.

My reseller is telling me I only need the platform license to use CAG VPX as the endpoint for external VDI-in-a-Box users but Citrix Licensing agent(s) are telling me that I need both the platform and Universal licenses for "external network connections".

Yet, Citrix's own website says:

http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/netscaler-gateway-101/ng-license-platform-universal-con.html

The Platform License
The Platform license allows user connections to published applications on XenApp or virtual desktops from XenDesktop. Connections by using Citrix Receiver do not use a NetScaler Gateway Universal license. These connections only need the Platform license.

So which is correct?

Ok cross checking the information i got from the reseller, Citrix sales agents and *the documents you provided*.
I am almost 90% sure that you can get the _platform license_ which really doesnt provide anything other than secure remote access\reverse proxy if your external users using Citrix reciever to connect to your XenApp or XenDesktop enviorment.

If you need the fancy security features such as smart access you will have to get universal license's that also comes with additonal features.

Bottom line i think you should talk to a different agent, luckly i have been in touch with a very smart rep - my confusion was the name's used and the documentation that mostly outdated or that refer to an older product.

Just to add one more thing, My Citrix sales contact did confirm that there's really no hard limit on the number of concurrent users passing through with platform license.
But you gotta remember that the throughput is low since its not a full netscaler implementation i think its somewhere around 50Mbps.....

When you get a Netscaler Gateway, it's important that:

a) you ALWAYS install the Netscaler licence: this 'unlocks' the SSL, to do high grade encryption. Without this, you'll get only 56 bit encryption!
b) you install the Access Gateway PLATFORM licence: this gives you 'unlimited' Basic Mode (=ICA Proxy, no EPA) connections
c) you install the UNIVERSAL licenses if you want to use 'SmartAccess Mode'

Note that you'll get (b) only when you BUY a Netscaler / Netscaler Gateway (VPX / MPX), you don't get this with an 'Express' licence! In that case, you will need Universal licences for any and all remote access connections, of which you'll get 5 included, the rest will cost $$.

• Like 1

There is no 'Netscaler Gateway Enterprise' as such!

There is:

Netscaler Gateway (used to be 'Access Gateway Enterprise Edition', or AGEE)
Netscaler Standard Edition
Netscaler Enterprise Edition
Netscaler Platinum Edition

... and well as Netscaler Express (the freebie one), plus developer and partner Netscaler licenses.

The Netscaler GATEWAY that you buy comes with ZERO universal licenses, whether you buy it as a VPX or an MPX (but DOES come with the 'Access Gateway Platform License' - probably renamed by now! - which gives 'unlimited' ICA licenses)

Netscaler Express / Standard / Enterprise / Platinum (ie anything that's NOT a Netscaler Gateway!) all come with 5 Universal licenses. The latter 3 also come with the 'Access Gateway Platform Licence'.

The Netscaler Express, plus developer and partner versions do NOT get the 'Access Gateway Platform License'

So, if you BUY it, you are licensed for unlimited Basic Mode ICA connections. If it's any form of Netscaler OTHER than the Netscaler Gateway, you get 5 Universal licenses.

• Like 1

Just to expand on Paul's post, re VPX appliances. If you purchase the NetScaler Gateway VPX Platform license (the cheap one under $1000) your virtual appliance is limited to 500 ICA Proxy users and 50Mb/s throughput so there are limits.

If you buy a NetScaler Standard or higher license, of any description, it includes an ICA proxy license with 10,000 ICA Proxy users and the throughput of whatever NetScaler license you bought (ie VPX 200 gives you 200Mb/s)

So if you are buying a NetScaler Standard or higher, you don't need the NetScaler Gateway VPX Platform license as well, as you will get one included.

I think if you buy an MPX appliance (ie physical) the ICA proxy limits are always 10,000 users.

Regards
Dan

So if you are buying a NetScaler Standard or higher, you don't need the NetScaler Gateway VPX Platform license as well, as you will get one included

I've never seen the Netscaler Gateway license (aka ICA connections licence) as a separate purchasable option... as you say, it just 'comes with the box when you buy it' (just needs installing!)

I think if you buy an MPX appliance (ie physical) the ICA proxy limits are always 10,000 users.

It's 5,000 on the MPX 5000 range, 10,000 on anything else.

According to a recent Brian Madden Blog there don't actually seem to be hard limits on the # of ICA connections (he had 1900 running on a VPX200!)

Hi Paul,

The separate purchasable option is the NetScaler Gateway VPX Platform License. If you install this license only, with no other NetScaler licensing, you will get 500 ICA connections and 50Mb/s throughput (and you can't use the other core NetScaler features like load balancing etc). This license is under $1000 and is what we use in small setups in place of either the old Secure Gateway or Access Gateway Standard (ie Access Gateway 4.6/5.0)

A NetScaler VPX 200 includes 10,000 ICA connections so 1900 concurrent is quite feasible. I've seen 3000 concurrent connections through a VPX and it used less than 100Mb/s of bandwidth (most of the time).

I've attached a screenshot of a NetScaler VPX platform Edition for reference, and the relevant sections from a license file are:
INCREMENT CNS_V50_SERVER CITRIX 2014.0424 permanent 1 \
INCREMENT CNS_AGEE_SERVER CITRIX 2014.0424 permanent 1 \
INCREMENT CAG_ICA_CCU CITRIX 2014.0424 permanent 500 \
#
#CITRIXTERM FEATURE 1.0 CNS_V50_SERVER EN Citrix NetScaler VPX 50|Server
#CITRIXTERM FEATURE 2.0 CNS_AGEE_SERVER EN Citrix NetScaler Gateway Enterprise Edition|Server
#CITRIXTERM FEATURE 3.0 CAG_ICA_CCU EN Citrix NetScaler Gateway ICA|Concurrent

You are correct on the MPX5000 vs rest, my mistake :)

Cheers
Dan

VPX.jpg

Thanks; however, after configuring the VPX and enabling the platform license, it does appear that even with basic gateway access to an internal VDI-in-a-Box server does require HDX licenses (not just ICA proxy) as I'm currently seeing 3 of 5 available licenses being used up by these external users and I have a pool of up to 10 users that will be coming through the VPX.

Wish they'd make this more clear...!