Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Adobe Reader 10.1.3 - AcroRd32.exe process will still run after user exit

Richard Morgan-Fine

Question

When the user exits Adobe, the XenApp server still shows the AcroRd32 process running. The CPU also spikes several % points and stays that way until the process(es) are ended/session logged off.

On the user side, under Citrix Connection Center for ICA Connections the user will see active with just the name of the XenApp server running the applications.

Whent the user logs off all the open processes on the server exit and CPU drops back down. A lot of time on the client, when they log off, the user will see a windows screen doing a logoff. Momentarily a message will show indicating something about WFShellwindow.

The above behavior isn't 100%, but it's 70+%. I'm using the latest receiver/online plug-in with pass thru authentication.

4 answers to this question

I had to set the following registry keys on my XenApp5 / Windows Server 2003 servers to solve all the issues I had with Adobe Reader 10.1.3.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\FeatureLockDown\cWelcomeScreen\bShowWelcomeScreen REG_DWORD 0

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\FeatureLockDown\bUsageMeasurement REG_DWORD 0

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\FeatureLockDown\bProtectedMode REG_DWORD 0

HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\IPM\bDontShowMsgWhenViewingDoc REG_DWORD 1
HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\IPM\bShowMsgAtLaunch\ REG_DWORD 1

Maybe you have to modify those for the 64Bit Windows Server 2008 R2

• Like 1
On 7/18/2012 at 11:36 PM, Richard Morgan-Fine said:

When the user exits Adobe, the XenApp server still shows the AcroRd32 process running. The CPU also spikes several % points and stays that way until the process(es) are ended/session logged off.

On the user side, under Citrix Connection Center for ICA Connections the user will see active with just the name of the XenApp server running the applications.

Whent the user logs off all the open processes on the server exit and CPU drops back down. A lot of time on the client, when they log off, the user will see a windows screen doing a logoff. Momentarily a message will show indicating something about WFShellwindow.

The above behavior isn't 100%, but it's 70+%. I'm using the latest receiver/online plug-in with pass thru authentication.

We have experienced this problem too and I found a very good workaround.

After struggling for days  to solve this problem, it worked by simply running this process in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Here are the steps I made to solve this problem:

1. Logon on each Xenapp Server where the AcroRd32.exe processes may run

2. Select the properties of one of the AcroRd32.exe processes within Task Manager

3. Select tab:Compatibility; Compatibility mode: "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7"  and click on "Change settings for all users"

4. Click Apply and that's it

Now check if this process is closing well, when closing Acrobat Reader....?

AcrobatReaderprobl.PNG