Welcome to our new Citrix community!

urgent: xenserver / is 100% full

sonali jadhav

Question

Hi there!

I am having 1 xenserver, in which root i.e. / is 100% full. I am not even able to connect it from my xencenter. I took ssh console of it. In top cmd load of the server is around 5. I am worried if it will crash. Only good thing is all VMs under it are working.
when i did df -h i get this output,

root@xenserver-2 ~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 4.0G 4.0G 0 100% /
none 380M 0 380M 0% /dev/shm
/opt/xensource/packages/iso/XenCenter.iso
44M 44M 0 100% /var/xen/xc-install
/dev/mapper/XSLocalEXT--293de66f--3f8a--13a8--34ce--ac83a02e2ad7-293de66f--3f8a--13a8--34ce--ac83a02e2ad7
5.4T 1.9T 3.3T 37% /var/run/sr-mount/293de66f-3f8a-13a8-34ce-ac83a02e2ad7
11T 3.0T 7.5T 29% /mnt/backup

I haven't assigned 4GB to / ,its self assigned by xenserver. I wanna know that, how i should increase size of / ? Even i found /var/log is 2 GB. As soon as its freed it again gets full. Need help urgently.

Thanks,
sonali

Edited by: sonali_csj on Jun 30, 2011 8:50 AM

13 answers to this question

Sometimes I have some trouble with log files in /var/log directory. check it.
Yet, you can search large files with command like this(search files more 30Mb exclude "sr-mount" directory)
find / -name "sr-mount" -prune -o -size +30000k

PS. Im never reboot server before clear enough space, else server not boot, and needed boot from live cd and clear again. Additional сheck is anyway necessary.

• Like 1

Hmm, I wouldn't play around with the partition sizes, as you might break other functionality such as the system backup during XenServer upgrades for roll-back purposes.

Eventually, an additional partition for /var/log might be a way - but even then, you would have to carefully test any upgrades to see if nothing breaks.

1st of all, find out, why your log files grow that much - I really think, your main problem sits somewhere else.

BfN, Konrad

/var/log/messages if filling up with following 3 lines continuously,

Jun 30 16:00:10 xenserver-2 kernel: CIFS VFS: Unexpected SMB signature
Jun 30 16:00:10 xenserver-2 kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Jun 30 16:00:10 xenserver-2 kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13

We have umounted cifs shares. But still messages log file is filling up with above errors. Our xenserver is 5.6 SP1 and xencenter is 5.6 SP2. Any suggestion on this ?

I'd ssh to the server and check the /var/log area and see if the logs have filled up too much of the space. The system will not run without some space under "/". Worst case, delete or compress old logs. You can make modifications to how logging of the main log files are handled in /etc/syslog.conf. If you have over 1 GB or so of logs, there is probably something amiss that is triggering an excessive amount of logging.
--Tobias