Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows reporting corrupt files, chkdsk on images, problem with CTX_CPSVCUSER

Bill Fletcher

Question

We have been seeing on several images suddenly, apparent corruption or read problems with our vdisks - causing users to freeze up, encounter errors, and various other issues.

We are trying to figure out exactly what is causing this. It could be coming from a problem simply on the image itself due to an improper shutdown, write error while in Private Mode, etc. - although it has shown up on several images now, so I'm looking for answers elsewhere as well.

Most recent and notable was a screenshot sent to us by a user where Windows threw up an alert that said:

"Windows - Corrupt File

The file or directory C:\Documents and Settings\ctx_cpsvcuser.<IMAGE MASTER NAME>\NTUSER.DAT is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

Note that the above referenced the original master image PC name, not the user's Standard Image name.

So I have two questions - has anyone else seen these "chkdsk" / windows corruption type problems, and what can cause this type of thing (are there known PVS issues that I should be looking at or considering), and also, is there something wrong with the Private->Standard->Private->Etc. imaging that the user's PC can reference the old master name?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Padraig - the targets are all XenServer VMs created by XenDesktop Wizard, with the image occasionally modified by a VM in Private Mode for updates/changes. We previously hadn't noticed any problems, but recently while putting some of these images out in production I have seen many users now reporting these Windows "use chkdsk" / file corruption / type problems, and we've had to roll back to previous versions of the image - which seems to have helped in some cases. However, this could be coincidental. Since the error has shown up on several images, I am worried there is some underlying issue on the PVS side perhaps.

This is why I am wondering: is this the kind of problem you would experience, if locks were improperly released, or if vdisks were copied while in use? I know it is said not to copy vdisks while in use, etc. because "it could cause corruption" - is this the kind of corruption that is seen? If so, perhaps some mistakes were made in copying - I need to know how touchy this process is.

If that is unlikely the case, then what can be done to log/view errors in the stream process / what specifics can I look at in stream.log. If I enable logging on the vdisk itself, is there anything specific I should be looking at, and where, which log file for vdisk specifc logs?

No, I have not looked at the disk where the vdisk resides itself. They are actually being served up locally on the PVS server itself (2008). I do notice that file copies to/from the 2008 server are very slow, could this be an I/O contention? Disk space was running very low on this volume, but that has now been remedied. I have not run any kind of chkdsk or analysis on the PVS vdisk volume.

Given the above info - what are your recommendations?

Thanks!

Padraig - I'm also just noticed some "retries" on the connections to my vDisks. I'm not sure what is considered a lot, or a few. One has 19, some have just 3 or 4. Could this be the cause of such errors?

I will double check my checksum offload parameters on my target devices, and PVS servers, but if you could please comment on all my questions above it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This error CHKDSK is not available for RAW Drives pops up when running the CHKDSK tool on a drive which has crashed for some reason. It proposes that the present state of the tricky drive is RAW, means that the file format used is not identified by your OS. No worries, we recommend you a way to solve this issue but in case you need to go in detail then find more methods by visiting https://appuals.com/fix-chkdsk-is-not-available-for-raw-drives/

1- Clean Boot:

i). As initial step choose Windows + R and in the ‘Run’ dialog box write ’MSCONFIG’ and tap ‘OK’.

ii). Then tap on the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck the option named Safe Boot.

iii). Here under the General tab in the same window, tap to choose the Selective startup option, and press to clear the Load startup items check box to confirm that it is not checked.

iv). Here press to choose the option Hide all Microsoft services check box, and tap ‘Disable all’.

v). As fifth step on the Startup tab, press the option ‘Open Task Manager’. Here right click on every startup item which are enabled and choose the option of ‘Disable’.

vi). Here you will need to enable the Startup items and rebooting your system. Then you will need to check if the issue has sorted out or not.

vii). At the end when you locate the challenging startup item or service, you can undertake action to fix this error. If case of a program, then you can install it again or fix it. In case of a service, you can disable it.

Archived