Welcome to our new Citrix community!

WLB Consultation has failed

Mark Holmes

Question

I receive this informational alert in the XenCenter console when starting up a VM.

Pool 'pool-01' has failed to retrieve placement recommendations from WLB for VM

I have no problem accessing the WLB server from xenCenter, i can view reports, etc. Since the message is tagged as informational is there in fact no problem? Maybe just not enough resource data collected to make a determination of where to place the VM (I only have one VM configured right now as I'm doing some simple tests)

Using XenServer 5.6

20 answers to this question

XenServer polls the Workload Balancing server every two minutes to check for the presence of an optimization recommendation. In addition, when a user right clicks to move or start a VM, the WLB server is also consulted.

In the event where XenServer is unable to receive a response from the WLB server in a reasonable amount of time, this warning message will be displayed. If you are seeing these messages in large numbers, that would indicate a potential problem. If you're only see a couple of them per day, I would not be concerned.

Edited by: Deane Smith on Sep 27, 2010 1:11 PM

• Like 1

Deane, you say the following:

In the event where XenServer is unable to receive a response from the WLB server in a reasonable amount of time, this warning message will be displayed. If you are seeing these messages in large numbers, that would indicate a potential problem.

What potential problem could we have? I can see no issues with any of the configuration or communication with the WLB server.

I have a fresh 5.6 installation with 2 pools, 15 hosts in each pool, 80 VM's in each pool. I have applied WLB - standard configuration (no changes at-all) for full optimisation - the VM's are XenApp servers.

When I start the VM's I get the message as described in the thread - I get a warning for all of the VM's - every one.

Darren

Hi Everyone

I have just the same problem on a customer site. Xenserver 6.0 with a xendesktop environment installed on it.
Everytime a VM boots we get this error. This problem occured since the last few days.
Has anyone already sollution for this error?

Thanks on advance

Edited by: kvan_da109 on 14-dec-2011 5:53

So is this message really just telling me that my pool has so much extra capacity at this point, sized for 1500 VMs but only running 90 at the moment that WLC can't make up it's mind? Basically leaving it to the pool to decide since all choices are equally good? I get the message every time a VM starts.

So it is 2020 and Citrix Hypervisor 8.1 and I see the WLB consultation has failed message for every VM that boots up (as everyone on here has said). 

I am using the WLB virtual appliance. 

My major annoyance is that by default Citrix sends email alerts for level 3 "Warning" alerts, but I had to disable emails for level 3 alerts so that Citrix Hypervisor admins are not spammed constantly with pointless warnings. However, there are level 3 "Warning" alerts that I would like an email for, such as multipath alerts. 

Does anyone know how to change the severity of the WLB consultation has failed alerts to level 4 or 5 so I can re-enable level 3 email alerts? Or is there a way to exclude certain alerts from emailing at all? I would really like to be able to pick and choose what alerts are emailed and which ones only show up in the XenCenter console.