SoftLayer Activity Library
This Activity Library provides management of SoftLayer virtual machines, templates, and vlans. You must register with SoftLayer's service and use your own account information with this library.
Click the link below to download the SoftLayer activity library binary DLL
Download SoftLayer Activity Library (Version 2.0)
Note - Version 2.0 contains a fix for the "Create Template" activity and replaces the original library that was posted.
To use this activity library, you need to be aware of the following items:
• SoftLayer API Username and API Key are required - once you have your SoftLayer account set up, navigate to https://manage.softlayer.com/Administrative/apiKeychain to generate your own API Key. The SoftLayer activity library will require the API username and API key assigned to your account.
• SoftLayer API is a private API - this means that to execute a workflow from the SoftLayer activity library, (1) your Workflow Studio machine needs to have a VPN connection to SoftLayer or (2) place Workflow Studio on a Cloud Computing Instance (CCI) running on SoftLayer. The instructions for creating your own VPN connection to SoftLayer are provided here - https://manage.softlayer.com/PrivateNetwork/vpn.
To set up and test the SoftLayer activity library, follow the steps below on your Workflow Studio machine.
(1) Copy SoftLayerActivityLibrary.dll from the ZIP file to C:\Program Files\Citrix\Workflow Studio.
(2) Open the Workflow Studio Console and create a new workflow.
(3) The Workflow Studio Designer is now open. To add the SoftLayer activity library to the activities pane, navigate to Tools->Choose Activities from the file menu. Browse to the SoftLayerActivityLibrary.dll (C:\Program Files\Citrix\Workflow Studio\SoftLayerActivityLibrary.dll) and ensure the activity is selected before closing the Choose Activities dialog.
(4) The SoftLayer activities should now be listed in the activities pane of the Workflow Studio Designer. Drag the activities that you need to create the desired workflow.
This activity library includes the following activities:
• Connect To SoftLayer - creates a SoftLayer connection using a specified API Username and API Key.
• Cancel Instance - cancels (deletes) an instance that is running on the SoftLayer account
• Create Template - creates a template from an existing virtual machine instance on the SoftLayer account
• Disconnect From SoftLayer - cancels the SoftLayer connection
• Delete Template - deletes a template from the SoftLayer account
• Get Instance Info - retrieves information for a single active instance running on the SoftLayer account
• Get Instances - retrieves the list of all active instances running on the SoftLayer account
• Get Package Info - retrieves package information from the SoftLayer account
• Get Power State - retrieves the current power state of an instance on the SoftLayer account
• Get Pricing Info - retrieves pricing code information from SoftLayer. Pricing codes include things such as OS ID, RAM ID, and CPU ID. This info is needed for placing an order for starting a new instance on the SoftLayer account.
• Get Template Info - gathers information about a template within the Softlayer account
• Get Templates - retrieves the list of templates stored on the SoftLayer account
• Get Vlan Info - retrieves vlan information from the Softlayer account
• Place Order - places an order to start a new virtual machine instance on the SoftLayer account
• Pause Instance - pauses an instance that is currently running on the SoftLayer account
• Power Off Instance (Hard) - performs a hard shutdown of an instance within the SoftLayer account. This is similar to the "force shutdown" command of a XenServer virtual machine that performs a hard shutdown.
• Power Off Instance (Soft) - performs a soft shutdown of an instance within the SoftLayer account. This is similar to the "shutdown" command of a XenServer virtual machine that performs a graceful shutdown.
• Power On Instance - starts an instance on the SoftLayer account that was previously shut down.
• Reboot Instance (Hard) - performs a hard reboot of an instance within the SoftLayer account. This is similar to the "force reboot" command of a XenServer virtual machine that performs a hard reboot.
• Reboot Instance (Soft) - performs a soft reboot of an instance within the SoftLayer account. This is similar to the "reboot" command of a XenServer virtual machine that performs a graceful reboot
• Resume Instance - resumes an instance that is currently paused on the SoftLayer account
More information on 3rd party libraries used in this are available here:
• SoftLayer Developer Network - http://sldn.softlayer.com/
• SoftLayer API - http://sldn.softlayer.com/wiki/index.php/The_SoftLayer_API
I created a blog series about how to use this activity library which is listed below.
- Getting Started
- Ordering instances on SoftLayer
- Checking status of instances on SoftLayer
- Cancelling instances on SoftLayer
- Creating templates on SoftLayer
These software applications are provided to you as is with no representations, warranties or conditions of any kind. You may use and distribute it at your own risk. CITRIX DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, WRITTEN, ORAL OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you acknowledge and agree that (a) the software application may exhibit errors, design flaws or other problems, possibly resulting in loss of data or damage to property; (b) it may not be possible to make the software application fully functional; and (c) Citrix may, without notice or liability to you, cease to make available the current version and/or any future versions of the software application. In no event should the code be used to support of ultra-hazardous activities, including but not limited to life support or blasting activities. NEITHER CITRIX NOR ITS AFFILIATES OR AGENTS WILL BE LIABLE, UNDER BREACH OF CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER THEORY OF LIABILITY, FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM USE OF THE SOFTWARE APPLICATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. You agree to indemnify and defend Citrix against any and all claims arising from your use, modification or distribution of the code.