Welcome to the Citrix Community page for the Citrix OpenStack engineering team. We're working directly with the open-source code, and pushing our improvements to the public repositories straight away. If you're interested in what Citrix are doing we've provided links to the features that we're focusing on for the next few months.
Would you like to work with the Citrix OpenStack team? Now is your chance:
April 13 2012
Next week Ewan Mellor, John Garbutt and Renuka Apte will be at the OpenStack Summit and OpenStack Conference.
We will be hosting a session on XenAPI development:
Hopefully see you there!
April 13 2012
OpenStack Essex has been released. Read about what Citrix has done during Essex:
January 12 2012
This week in one main room we will run a session on 'Learning OpenStack through the Art of Debugging':
Pre-requisites for all attendees: Bring your laptops, with ubuntu 11.10 and devstack installed on it. Follow directions on devstack.org to install devstack.
In the other main room we will be doing a 'What is OpenStack?' whiteboard lecture for beginners.
There will also be space for people who want to work together on new features, whatever they might be.
OpenStack hackathon, South Bay style. We'll have OpenStack core team members on hand for designing, coding, or advice, and if any beginners turn up then we'll run a presentation session explaining what OpenStack is and how it all fits together.
Beer, food, whiteboards and wifi provided by Citrix. Bring a laptop if you want to code or to try an all-in-one install to take away with you.
These will run on alternate weeks from the San Francisco meetups. All the cool kids go to both.
902 Light Rail schedule: http://www.vta.org/schedules/SC_902.html
October 24-28 2011
We discussed our upcoming OpenStack-based products at Citrix Summit and Synergy in Barcelona:
It was also in the Secret Demo Room, all week.
August 28 2011 – Ewan Mellor
It's election time in OpenStackLand! You could, of course, do no better than to vote for me
July 12 2011
Today Citrix announced the acquisition of cloud.com, a leading vendor in the cloud infrastructure space. One area that isn't given a lot of coverage in the official marketing materials is how this fits with our commitments to OpenStack and Project Olympus. The short answer is: we're doubling down on our OpenStack bets. The acquisition will enable us to deliver more into the OpenStack community and Project Olympus at a faster rate, and we get an infusion of top rated cloud IQ that would have taken us years to grow organically. For longer answers former XenSource and Citrix CTO Simon Crosby's blog post sums it up best.
Welcome to the cloud.com team!
July 10 2011
To read more about this exciting event, go to OpenStack EMEA Day .
June 25 2011
Salvatore has written a couple of articles on the current state of the various OpenStack networking services:
May 25 2011
If you've ever worked on a project that you couldn't tell people about you know how exciting it is to finally be able to speak publicly about all the cool stuff you're doing. For Project Olympus that means Synergy 2011 is finally here.
If you haven't already check out the "real" marketing site, and then check back here regularly or sign up for the RSS feed for the scoop from the engineering team.
To start here are a couple things to chew on:
If you're at Synergy in San Francisco this week we have breakout and Ask the Experts sessions:
Ask the Experts:
Or just look for us - we'll have some kind of OpenStack logo on.
And we've got some good stuff to give away!
We've been working with a small set of our closest partners since we started Project Olympus, and much of what's already in the project is a result of feedback from those relationships. It's now it's time to expand. And what better way than leveraging the respective strengths of OpenStack co-founders RackSpace and Dell to do it. We invest in these relationships very seriously so if you are interested in proof of concept or pilot deployments of Project Olympus, and more importantly helping up shape our solution, we want to hear from you.
You can contact us via
April 30 2011
The Citrix team will be present at the Cloud Computing workshop, "Talk Cloudy to Me!", organized by the The Silicon Valley Cloud Computing Group. It's free to attend, so come along to meet us!
The Diablo OpenStack Conference and Design Summit was at the end of April, right across the street from the Citrix office in Santa Clara. The conference was a two day, four track event, for both business and technical community members; the design summit was where all the technical work for Diablo was done.
The slides from both the conference and the summit are all here: http://www.slideshare.net/event/openstack-conference-and-design-summit-apr-2011/slideshows
Citrix's official Project Olympus announcement:
Official announcements of support for OpenStack:
- Extreme Networks
- Grid Dynamics
- Virtual Bridges
- Citrix Synergy 2011 - Interview on OpenStack with Citrix and Dell: Dell's Joseph George and our own Sameer Dholakia interviewed by VMblog.
- Citrix makes it a good week for cloud maturity: ZDNet's Dana Gardner looks at Citrix's cloud announcements at Synergy.
- Reaction to Citrix's Project Olympus announcement:
- GigaSpaces OpenStack Explained: Nati Shalom explains the GigaSpaces/OpenStack integration.
- The difference between AWS and OpenStack: Forrester discuss the difference for I&O teams between AWS and OpenStack.
- Cloud CIO: Lessons from the OpenStack Design Summit: Bernard Golden reviews the Diablo summit.
- Internap Building First OpenStack-Based Public Cloud: GigaOM discusses Internap's OpenStack deployment.
- Citrix CTO Advises Demanding Clarity From Vendors On Cloud: Simon Crosby, interviewed by InformationWeek.
- OpenStack Santa Clara Meetup: Our own Gordon Mangione talking at the meetup on February 3 2011.
- Various articles around the Bexar release, and the Cisco, Canonical, Grid Dynamics and Extreme Networks announcements of support:
- CESWP: Cloud-Enabled Space Weather Platform team at the Bexar design summit.
- Dell PowerEdge C powers OpenStack install fest
- The Cloud is Open - See How It Stacks Up: Roger Klorese discusses the Citrix OpenCloud and OpenStack demos that we took to VMworld 2010 in San Francisco.
- First OpenStack Release Produces Open Source Cloud Alternative: Press release around the Austin release, including Peter Levine's supporting statement from Citrix.
- Citrix Expands Leadership in Open Cloud Computing: The Citrix press release where we announced our involvement with OpenStack and the integration of Citrix OpenCloud with it.